Chapter 2: Back To The Very Beginning

Qi Jingchen was awoken by shrill sounds, then he closely revelled in the continuous screams and other sorts of sounds— this kind of bustle hasn't happened in a long time.

Except, shouldn't he be dead? Why did he still hear sounds?

No—it should be said that even if he wasn't dead, he also shouldn't be able to hear any sounds— even though those zombies and mutated plants could still move and kill in close combat, they shouldn't be able to make any sounds.

Experiencing the apocalypse had made Qi Jingchen extremely vigilant, but he currently did not want to move at all. Therefore, even though he fully knew that something was wrong, he still slowly and lazily opened his eyes.

And then he saw a spotlessly bright white ceiling, it was familiar yet foreign... it was the room he had rented before the apocalypse.

On the summer day of the arrival of the apocalypse, Qi Jingchen had just passed his twenty-second birthday and had also just graduated from college to receive his life's very first official job.

He was in fact born in a metropolis, and also had parents who, while not considered very rich, could be regarded as successful. But his parents had divorced not long after his birth, and neither of them was willing to take him in... In the end, he was sent to his paternal grandparents in the countryside.

His grandparents didn't only have his father as a son, and definitely didn't have just him as a grandson, so obviously they wouldn't set their hearts on him. Afterwards, they learnt that a neighbouring family wanted to adopt a son, and so they simply sent him to them.

His foster parents were surnamed Qi, while Qi Jingchen was also a name given by his foster parents. This pair of husband and wife didn't have many prospects, but the young and vigorous would always have jobs. Their days passed fairly well, and they had adopted Qi Jingchen because they wanted someone to look after them when they've aged and would arrange a proper burial for them. To Qi Jingchen, they naturally took care of him well, never limiting what he needed.

Even after this married couple had conceived a daughter when Qi Jingchen was eight, they still didn't mistreat Qi Jingchen, even raising Qi Jingchen properly and sending him to college.

It was just that Qi Jingchen ultimately wasn't their biological child, so they more or less had a sense of distance from each other. For example, they would hold their daughter Qi Yaoyao to their chests and call her darling, kissing her continuously, but would never treat Qi Jingchen so intimately.

But for Qi Jingchen, he was already very content. Qi Jingchen, who knew he was adopted from a young age, thought that his adoptive parent not abandoning him was already regarded as an enormous favour. He absolutely would and dare not make extravagant demands and instead strove to lessen the burdens of his foster parents. For instance, he had never wanted allowance, and another example was that after being accepted into a university, he only let his foster parents pay for the first year's tuition fees even though he knew they had the ability to provide his school fees and living expenses.

During his first year in university, his living expenses for the first two months were the earnings he made when he worked in the factory after the college entrance exams. After that, all his expenses were paid with the money he earned when he moonlighted during his free time in university.

He had a grateful heart towards his adoptive parents, and he lived frugally without daring to waste the slightest bit of money during his university days. During the festivities like Chinese New Year, he would always give his foster parents a generous gift and was unconditionally pampering towards this foster parent's daughter.