𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

"Y/N!" Bucky shouted as you gritted your teeth, sending a strong burst of air at the man who shot you, who knocked into a tree and was out cold.

"I'm okay," you ground out, tugging out a bandage stored in your suit for instances such as these, and wrapping it around your arm. "At least it wasn't my good arm, huh?"

"Y/N," Bucky said, deadpan. "You. Were. Just. Fucking. Shot."

"I'll live, Bucky," you smiled gently, pecking him on the lips. "If that had hit you, you couldn't say the same."

Just then, an explosion went off, ripping the HYDRA base in half and shaking the ground.

"Those were the explosives," you guessed. "Now, c'mon Buck, we gotta get out of here."

Bucky swept you up bridal style, you protesting loudly, and onto the ship Clint had flown in after you for pick up. You two were the last to get in, right before the Quinjet left the ground.

"Guys, Y/N got shot," Bucky said.

"WHAT?!" multiple voices yelled.

"I'm fine," you insisted. "I was only shot in the arm."

Natasha paled as she unwrapped your arm and inspected the wound. "You're not fine, Y/N. This is new HYDRA technology. The bullet can pretty much take out every nerve in your body. Clint, go faster!"

"Trying, Nat!" Clint yelled from the cockpit.

"So ... Y/N could die," your dad said.

"Yes," Nat whispered.

"JARVIS, alert the best surgeons we have to prep," he says.

"Yes, sir."

"I'm not gonna lose you," Bucky whispered in your ear.

"I'm not going to die," you reply, determined. "I don't care if it's fucking poisonous, if it can kill me, because I will not die."

"That's the attitude," Nat smiled, though it looked tense and fake. "Don't worry. We'll do our best."

- - -

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

You were woken by the sound of a heart monitor. It beeped out your heartbeat.

You were alive.

"Y/N," you heard two voices, and turned your head to see your two favourite guys in the world.

"You're okay, Y/N/N. You did it." Tony said.

The words brought a relief so powerful that you could've almost died again.

"How do you feel?" Bucky asked.

"I feel ... really hungry," you admitted.

Tony roared with laughter. "And now you know she's going to be fine."

"I was always going to be fine," you replied. "So, the surgery worked?"

Both men looked away.

"What's wrong?" you asked.

"Nothing's wrong," your dad said gently. "They did what had to be done."

Bucky lifted your right arm up for you to see only ... it wasn't your arm. It was a metal arm.

"Oh," you said, and you felt like you might cry. "Oh."

"I'll give you two a sec," Tony said quietly, backing out of the room.

"It's okay, Y/N," Bucky said soothingly, wiping away the tears that squeezed out. "Really. Having a metal arm is ... pretty cool. It's bulletproof, you can stick shopping lists to your arm ..."

You giggled, weakly. "I guess it's not that bad."

"Yeah, man up, soldier," Bucky teased.

"Yes sir! Sorry, Sergeant!" you saluted with your left arm.

Another pause.

"So you'll be okay then, doll?" Bucky asked.

"So long as I have you, Buck, I'll be fine," you whispered, resting your foreheads together. And then, you couldn't help it. You'd almost died, after all.

You kissed him, and it felt better than any kiss you'd ever shared before. It felt like home, like warmth, and you never want to be separated from him for the rest of your life.

You pulled apart just as Tony walks back, which was good because otherwise he would've spent an hour moaning about it.

"You're cleared for a walk, Y/N," he said. "You'll be living in this ward for the next few weeks, but they're letting you take a walk."

Bucky helped you out of bed, steadying you when you wobble. He took you to your room to let you get changed.

You chose an outfit of long-sleeves and a jacket to hide your arm, but then you looked at Bucky proudly showing his, and ditched the jacket.

- - -

The sun felt like kisses on your face, and the air was almost talking to you, excited that you were back. Everything felt ... different after a near-death experience.

"Y/N?" you turned to your right to see Bucky, metal arm outstretched. "Shall we?"

You put your metal arm in his, silver against silver, and walk.

People looked at you strangely, but they always had.

People talked, but that wasn't unusual.

People pointed, but with Bucky next to you, you didn't care.

Because with Bucky, even though you'd been shot, burnt, almost died, and so much more, you were safe.

You were alive, and really, that was all you needed.

thank you very much for reading this story !!please check out my other works on both accounts !!