The Fuzzy End of the Lollipop: Chapter Nineteen

Sally did not tell her family the exact time she would be arriving at the station. She wanted time alone to walk through the fairy-lit streets and take in the familiarities of home. Like always, nothing had changed. The same shops stood out on the high street, the same people trudged past her, the same bars and pubs hummed with Christmas cheer. It was though, in her absence the whole town had stood still, waiting for her patiently until she returned.

As Sally turned onto her childhood street something sharp panged in her gut. The pavement beneath her feet did feel different but it was not her surroundings that had changed. Her heart was different and her soul and her mind to boot. She had grown, grown into something that no longer had to hide in the confines of her family home. Finally, she had become a separate being who could walk along these streets with a peaceful detachment. A warm glow began to hum inside her. Pride and admiration caressed her old self, who had despised this place so much. Those wounds were still there but they were beginning to heal and soon she would be able to look back at that time with fond amusement.

Quietly she took her key out of her bag and unlocked the door. No one came rushing, the house remained silent apart from a soft hum from the television. Sally followed the sound and stood in the doorway watching her dad chuckle at the screen. Around him, the living room was decked out with generations of Christmas decorations. A collage that Sally had constructed at nursery school was stuck on the door, hand-drawn Christmas cards hung from the mantelpiece and the tree was decorated in disintegrating, glittery bits of paper that they had all created over the years.

Sally loved how it looked the same every year and that, no matter how dishevelled, their handmade trinkets always stood loud and proud around a real pine tree, making the room smell sharp and sweet.

"Jesus Christ," said her dad, wide-eyed, "How long have you been there?"

Sally laughed, "Not long."

Her dad stood up and hugged her, "You scared the life out of me."

"Sorry I just wanted to surprise you."

"Well, that you did."

"What's so funny?" Asked Sally as she sat down in front of the T.V.

Her dad poured some twiglets onto her lap, "It's great, just watch." They sat in silence for a moment but Sally did not look at the screen; her dad's glee was far more entertaining. His usual frown was pulled up into a crooked grin that made her sink into the comforts of home.

"So where is everyone?" asked Sally lazily.

"Your mum's popped to Sainsbury's, your brother's at work and your sister upstairs."

"Oh, she's in?"

"Yeah, she is in."

"Right, do you think I should go and say hello?"

"If you want to."

Sally looked in the direction of the stairs. No matter the distance, Fran always seemed miles away. Sally almost wished she had been at the station waiting for her but their relationship had never been like that, perhaps it never would but Sally was determined to make an effort whether Fran liked it or not.

"I think I will go and say hello then."

"Oh, just to let you know," her dad called after her, "Fran has moved into your room."

Sally frowned, "What? Where am I going to sleep then?" She had known something like this would happen in her absence but she had presumed the room would have been given back to her on her return.

"You're in Lewes' room," replied her dad, still looking at the T.V.

"Why?" Sally exclaimed, "That does not make any sense! Surely, if Fran is in my room, I should be in Fran's room. Where is Lewes sleeping?"

"In Fran's room,"