Chapter 24- The Gala

We arrived at the gala and everyone was dressed up all fancy. Bucky set his hand on the small of my back as we walked around inside, making it look natural so that we fit in.

The rooms was filled with lively and beautiful people. They were all either dancing, drinking, or making small talk. The scene reminded me of the first of Tony's functions that I served at; How this whole thing started in the first place.

My life would be so different without the Avengers. I would still work at that little coffee shop at the end of my street, living in that tiny studio apartment. I wouldn't have met Steve, my only friend.

Bucky and I walk around a bit, making our way out of the main room and into the busy hall. The place is loud and everyone is constantly moving around, making it a lot easier for us to make our way by, unsuspected and unseen.

We were slowly making our way through the croud of guests when someone grabbed my hand and pulled me slightly away from Bucky. I turn around to see a tall man with dark brown hair and deep blue eyes staring directly into mine. He was wearing a black suit with a navy blue tie that complimented his eyes. He looked to be around my age, maybe a little older.

Noticing that I was no longer at his side, Bucky stops in his tracks and turns to look at me. He's surprised when he sees a man standing infront of me.

"And who might you be darling? I don't believe I've seen you before, I would have remembered those beautiful green eyes and that dark red hair of yours," the man says a little sternly. I shoot a panicked look at Bucky who gives me a 'stay calm and play along' look back. So I do.

"My name is Adrian Barnes," I state, trying to sound confident in my answer. Bucky's last name sounded weird coming after my first. Foren but almost comfortable, as we had been playing these parts for a little while now, I was getting more used to the cover.

"First time here, Ms. Barnes?" the man asks, suspiciously. He grins madly as he takes in my features.

"Yes, indeed," I reply.

"And who is you're sponsor?"

"Actually I was hired as a dancer for a performance at the end of the night," I lie.

"Dancer? Hmm, if that's so, then you won't mind if I ask you to dance with me?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"No, not at all," I say as he pulls me to the dance floor. I shoot Bucky another panicked look and this time, Bucky returned it.

I did used to take dancing lessons but that was a long time ago and it was just for fun. I just have to make it look believable, tonight.

Bucky just stands off to the side watching as the man puts his hand of the side of my hips. All I was thinking was that someone should get Bucky some popcorn so he can better enjoy the show.

I rest my arms on hus shoulders as all of the other women are doing around me as we start to sway because a song came on. "So, what's your name?"

"Liam Tyfueni," he answers. The song gets more energetic and I realize it's a song that does more than swaying. One that I actually have to dance to.

I try my hardest to remember the footwork that I learned a few years back. I was doing pretty well as the song picked up its pace. But then he started to twirl me, and to my surprise, I didn't fall. I thought for sure I would, but I guess luck has it out for me tonight, which is pretty rare, especially for me.

We start dancing some more when I feel his hand slipping from my hip to my thigh. I try to just not worry about it but then his other hand does the same only this time he slightly slips in under my dress.

I turn my head to look at Bucky who was shifting on his feet very uncomfortably, staring directly at me. I look at him with an angry expression because of the fact that I was getting felt up. I wanted to punch this guy in the face and throw him to the floor like the jerk that he is. However, just from that look, Bucky knew what I was plotting and shook his head.

I gave him another look that said 'pleassssse' but Bucky just stood firmly and shook his head again. We have to stay unseen, and I cannot be drawing attention to myself like that.

We slightly rotate so that Liam's back was to Bucky and I was facing Bucky. Our eyes stayed locked as I felt Liam's hand feel up the inside of my dress further, his fingers brushing the side of my underwear. My eyes widened and started to water because I had to put up with this. Bucky saw what was happening and quickly walked out to the busy dance floor to pull us apart.

He comes up behind Liam and taps him on his shoulder. Liam quickly pulled away from me and turned to face Bucky.

"I'm sorry to interupt but that is my wife you are dancing with," Bucky states. Liam crosses his arms and shoots me a dirty look with a slight grin which contradicted the look he just gave me, which slightly confused me.

"She did not inform me that she was taken. My bad," Liam says as he places a kiss on my hand and then walks off, smiling to himself. I just stood there relieved for a second.

"You okay?" Bucky asks, taking my hand.

"You're a life saver," I state as Bucky and I walk back into the bustling hallways.

We make out way to what looks like a security room. On the door is a sign that says, "staff only."

"Staff-ord, seems about right," I say laughing at my last name. We are now in a quiet side hallway and there isn't really anyone around. I try to open the door but it's locked. Bucky notices this and grabs the nob with his metal hand and crushes it, pushing the door open.

We walk inside. The room is small and continues a messy desk, several monitors, a filing cabinet, and paperwork everywhere. Bucky and I start searching the room, pulling it apart as we do so, not that it was particularly organized when we came in anyway.

Bucky has no luck in the filing cabinet so I start looking through the desk drawers and start pulling out paperwork. However, I didn't find a flashdrive.

"Where the hell is it?" Bucky mumbles.

I continue looking through the drawers and pulling out paperwork when I see a penny sitting beneath a stack of papers in one of the drawers. I pull on the coin to reveal that the drawer has a fake bottom. I pull it up and we find three flashdrives and a bag or what looked to be some kind of street drug.

Bucky picked up the three flashdrives and put them in his pocket. Then I shut the drawer and we made our way out of the building, not minding the mess we left behind in that room.

It all seemed a little too easy. Maybe this was just a test after all. To see if Bucky and I could work together successfully without screwing up the mission because of our hatred towards one another. It makes sense, but I can never be too sure. Either that or the fact that Fury really did want to keep this mission low key.

On our way out of the front entrance, it's dark and I see Liam leaning up against the building, smoking a cigar. Bucky lets go of my hand and I march up to Liam. He looks surprised for a second and gives me that sinful grin of his. I quickly slap it off his face and kick him where the sun doesn't shine. Then Bucky and I head into a cab on the busy streets.