Chapter 36- Lunch With Supersoliders

I walk into the kitchen and grab a bottle of water. As I do, Steve and Bucky get off the elevator.

"Hey, Adrian," Steve says with a smile. I give them a smile then chug the water because I'm really thirsty.

"Wanna go to lunch with us?" Bucky asks.

"Erm, I dunno. I have some more reading to catch up on," I answer truthfully. I just got to a good part in my book.

"You can do that later. Come on, it'll be fun," Steve exclaims.

"Okay, let's go." We go back into the elevator and down to the parking garage, then into Steve's car. Weirdly, Bucky let's me have shotgun which is odd but it also might have something to do with our kiss. I'm still not too sure how I feel about the whole situation with Bucky yet.

We get to a bland restaurant and Steve Bucky and I make our way inside. We are seated at a private booth near the back of the restaurant.

"So, why the sudden interest in having lunch with me everyday?" I ask Steve.

"Just thought we could all spend some time together," Steve answers and I give a curt nod and start reading the menu.

"Whatcha gonna order?" Bucky asks.

"Hmm, maybe the spaghetti?" I reply, unsure.

"Good choice," the waiter says, overhearing our conversation. "And for you sir?" The waiter takes our orders but before leaving, he pauses and looks to me.

"You look familiar, have we met before?" he asks.

I'm not used to being recognized in public. Normally it's just Steve and Bucky who people want pics with. And I'm not even technically and Aveneger so how would this guy even recognize my face?

"No, I don't think so. Sorry."

"Weren't you at the NYTA dance school? You look just like this one girl that always gave the teacher a run for his money. What was her name? Uhh, Sarah maybe?" he laughed in memory.

"I'm sorry, I don't follow. I'm not her, I apologize for the confusion," I reply, hiding my face with a wall of my hair. The waiter says goodbye and then walks away and I can feel the supersoliders staring holes into my skin with grins on their faces.

"You were a dancer?" Bucky asks with a laugh.

"Ha ha, very funny," I say sarcastically. "I was stressed and I needed a new job. I wanted something fun, okay?" I defend.

"Wow, just wow," Steve chimes in.

"When we get back, you HAVE to show us a dance!" Bucky says, trying to embarrass me.

"No way. Not. Happening."

"Oh, come on, Adrian! We won't judge...we'll I won't," Steve says shooting a look at Bucky.

"It's not happening so you might as well just give up now," I state, wanting this conversation to end. It's honestly just embarrassing at this point.

"Fine, fine," they put their hands up in defeat, but I can tell that they aren't really planning on just letting this go. They plan to tease me for a long while after this.

The waiter serves us our food and then lookes to me and says, "it has to be you. I found a video on my phone of all the dancers and you two look identical."

"Sorry, I'm not a dancer," I say and the waiter shugges in defeat and then walks back into the kitchen. The guys are trying to contain there laughter while I just ignore it.

I'm not really all that hungry but since they invited me to lunch I didn't want to be rude and turn them down. So I mostly just pick at my food and listen to them talk.

"Adrian, you feeling alright?" Steve asks.

"Yeah, why?"

"You've just been picking at your food for the past fifteen minutes," Bucky chimes in.

"Right, sorry. I wasn't really hungry when you asked me to lunch, I just didn't want to be rude," I explain.

"Oh, okay," Steve says and shoots Bucky a worried look to which he returns. Whatever this was is making me uncomfortable. "I actually should get going, we have that meeting with Fury in a few hours and I have to run some errands."

"Okay, we'll see you at the meeting?" Bucky asks. Why wouldn't I be at the meeting?

"Yea, bye," I say, leaving the table and a twenty dollar bill. This is the only way I would also get away with paying for something while I'm around them.

...

I went into the training room and used one of the treadmills to run on. I turned it to full speed and ran like hell. Whenever I'm bored or stressed I like running but it's really crowded at the park today so I'll run in here.

I've been running like this for almost ten minutes and my legs are starting to ache but I continue anyway.

"What's the rush?" I hear from behind me. I stop the threadmill and get off, sweating like a dog.

"Who the hell are you?" I ask, out of breath, even though I already know the answer. He's The Falcon. I've seen him at a few of Tony's functions and once when Tony and I first met. We just have never been properly introduced to eachother.

"I'm Sam, and you're Adrian?"

"The one and only," I say taking a towel to dry my sweat. "It's nice to properly meet you, Bird Man," we both laugh in response.

"That's actually not the first time I've been called that," Sam chuckles.

"I'm not surprised."

"So, what's your special thing?" Sam asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing really. Just combat and good reflexes. I'm basically the outcast of the team," I respond bluntly.

"Welcome to the club," he says with a sigh. "I have a feeling you an me are going to be very good friends."

"Likewise. I should probably go get showered before the meeting with Fury," I saw, looking at my sweat drenched body.

"Good idea, you smell," he says and we both brake out laughing as I leave the room and head upstairs.

Sam is honestly one of the best people I've met on the team. He has a quality that the others don't have, humility. He's pretty down to earth and funny and actually acts human, but the other Avengers act like they're God's or something, like they're above civilians in every way. That's why I liked Sam.

That, and the fact that it's nice having another outcast on the team to share my pain. Other than Steve and Bucky, the other Avengers don't really pay attention to me much, which honestly, I'm completely fine with. I never like to be the center of attention anyway. I just feel like I'm like a backup, incase the others can't do a mission or it's below their pay grate. I don't know.