1 - Light

It stayed like that for a long time, that Light. It stayed out, looked dead, cold. But sparks are not just the start of things, they revive things, the fire may be out, but a single spark can set it roaring again.

This spark did just that, but it didn't hold.

The Light went out again.

And another spark replaced it, something kept making sparks, sparks that wanted to reignite the Light, and this something, it didn't give up.

Time wasn't a thing in this strange place, but it felt like it was a long time before two sparks sprung from the darkness, one brighter than the other and they fell and darkened, looking hopeless.

The Light flickered and shone softly, calmly, burning through the Dark.

It brightened.

Slowly, excruciatingly slowly, but steadily.

Then a snap.

The Light exploded and pain seared through the Dark, bright red spears piercing everything, clouding everything. Then as quickly as it came, it went, the Light shining ever brighter.

Cloudy white mist slowly begins gathering at the sides of this strange world, growing, reaching. It slowly covers everything.

Sleep.

Rest.

Less painful than last time. Less urgent. Less finite. Less desperate.

And yet infinitely more troubled.

Dark forms swirl around. Trying desperately to snuff out the Light. And failing.

Another explosion of Light but a misty shield makes the pain tolerable, less bright.

And then the Light seems to grow confident, powerful, self-sufficient. It drifts away, no longer of immediate concern. A sense of vertigo. Falling. A splash and a cold that hits like a wall of ice.

Sinking. White ropes wrap around a shape. A shape that is becoming more defined.

A body. A human body.

A boy.

They pull at the shape. Tugging without mercy. Pulling. Towards what? Light. The surface of this numbing cold. Dark things bite, claw, kick, punch, slap the ropes.

One snaps.

Two replace it.

They don't stop pulling.

Hands reach to the boy. Into its mind. Not interfering. Helping. Fixing. Breaking walls. Returning what was stolen. Not bits and pieces.

All of it.

Names

Faces

Places

People

Feelings

Emotions

Memories

But one name, one face, one person shines brighter, fiercer than the rest. A boy. The boy. This boy. He remembers.

He remembers himself.

The names find their faces, the people find their places, memories find their emotions, their feelings.

Everything fits together like puzzle pieces.

A shining light, one that doesn't stand out, it seems sad, lonely, quiet. And he remembers. This boy. He remembers the other boy. The one his heart hurt for. Sandy brown hair, chocolate brown eyes and always confused. Brave, reckless, stupid sometimes. This was Thomas. To the boy though, this was Tommy.

The ropes tear him out of the cold, and he breaks the surface. He sees her. The angel, but different, not wrong, similar but not quite right.

"Hello Newt," the different angel says. "Welcome back. We are the Ravens. The Ravens of Hope."