4 - Nest

I'm climbing again, back in the Maze.

I'm climbing a wall, covered in ivy. Hands gripping the green vines, hauling myself up the wall, legs pushing against it.

I climbs for what seems like hours, slowly getting into a gruelling rhythm, hand over hand, foot over foot. Slowly, very slowly, the top of the wall seems to get closer, I can see where the ivy curves, snaking over the top of the wall.

The top of the wall is within reach, my fingers grasp the top, I haul myself up and stumble forward, I can see the whole Maze. I can see people in the Glade, but something is wrong, they're running towards the Homestead. Then I see them, giant bulbous forms, metal sticking out of them, charging towards the Gladers, picking them off one by one.

I scream and start running towards them, my limp slowing me down, I curse myself for being so weak, so stupid. Thinking I could escape this hell by dying, if it had worked this wouldn't be happening.

Then I remember Tommy, Minho, Alby, Chuck. The hurt it would of caused them.

And then like the slintheads they are a Griever appears in front of me, and it charges, so I turn and run like any sane person would.

As I turn the world blurs, changing into the WICKED tower in the Last City.

I run, pushing through the crowds of people, I whip my head back, my neck crakcing and popping from the speed of it, the Griever is gone, replaced by WICKED soldiers and as I turn back to look where I'm running, I trip, falling flat on my stupid face.

Onto hot scorching, painful sand.

Heat baking my back.

Light burning my eyes.

Then I look up and see them. All of them.

My eyes widen, my breath hitches.

"No. No no no no. NO! NO NO NO! NO! PLEASE NO!" I scream.

Hundreds, thousands, millions of them, standing there. Surrounding me. Eyes boring into my soul as I turn, looking for any chance of escape. Nothing. Only crazy, black eyes staring at me.

Cranks.

Then something seems to snap in them.

They all stiffen.

Then they run.

They knock me to the ground and I close my eyes, but they don't bite, they don't claw at me.

They're gone.

When I opens my eyes I sees Thomas, gun in hand, eyes closed, tears streaming down his face.

A bang.

I scream and bolt up in bed, breathing heavily, sweat pouring off my brow.

I whip the thin covers off and immediately shiver. Pulling on a shirt I walk to the bathroom, I turn on the tap, my hands on the basin. After washing my face, gently combing my hair with my fingers and getting some clothes out I turn the shower on, stripping out of my clothes and stepping under the beautiful hot water.

My muscles relax, my breath slows, my heart calms and I feel clean. I wash my hair and body and get out, wrapping the towel around my body, drying myself I think about what Ash had said when we got here.

"Don't worry, we'll get to the Safe Haven soon. I know it."

Something he had said didn't sit right, I know I should trust him but...

I smell something. Smoke.

An alarm seems to pierce the silence like a spear (well that reminded me of Gally, poor guy, still hate him for hurting Tommy).

My eyes met Ash's and we ran to the window, scanning the courtyard. Ash instantly paled, my eyes widened in shock.

People.

In the courtyard.

With masks.

And cloaks.

And very sharp looking things.

Four of them carried torches.

And then our door was kicked in and I screamed, very undignified, then I realised it was a soldier, I screamed again and this time Ash screamed too, then we saw the silver raven on his shoulder and we didn't scream.

The soldier looked at us like we were idiots, not far from the truth and then collapsed to the side with one of those sharp-looking things in her neck.

And we screamed again.

This time Ash pulled a gun from under his pillow.

A gun.

Under his pillow.

This day could not get weirder.

A bang and the masked person jolted backwards and fell.

We stand there, breathing heavily, hearts hammering against our chests, Ash's hands shaking, the gun clatters to the floor.

I walk over to the body and look at the strange mask, a blue wolf.

Then I notice the cloak thing, it's like a dress or a waistcoat, maybe a tunic. It's a bright blue with shiny weaving that makes the whole thing look like fire.

I realise two things at that moment:

1. These people are fucking crazy and very, very strange

2. They know how fashion works and have great clothes (they even feel nice)

I'm so absorbed by the body that I don't notice Ash falling to the ground, blood spreading rapidly over his white shirt, the red-cloaked person with a red cat mask and the purple-cloaked person with a purple snake mask approach.

I don't see the red one pull out one of the sharp things.

I don't see them pass it to the purple person.

I don't see the blade rise above their head.

I don't see it slice downwards.

I don't see the slight change in the direction of the swing.

I don't see the hilt as it sails towards my head.

I see darkness.

Spreading around my vision.

Then I slump sideways into the pool of blood around the fallen soldier.

*
**
***
**
*
That

Was

Fun

Who's having fun? No-one...oh.....oh well

Poor Ash....

Did you enjoy that?

Was it funny?

Laughs?

Crying?

I had fun writing it.

Ash might get to see Sammy soon....

Byeeee Love you all

~ Blake