The Waking City

It was nightfall when Lyra snuck into her house between the guards' shifts as Diluc waited outside. They put on their masks together. Lyra could've sworn he had smiled as he had put his on, almost as if the prospect of creating chaos for the Knights was a sort of stress reliever.

"Will you be alright?"

"The Knights of Favonius could never take me down."

Lyra scoffed at his confidence, and then smiled. Diluc headed to the gates, and Lyra waited for the shouting to begin. She didn't expect the fireworks performance, and whistled as a chain of fire took to the sky. Thundering footsteps echoed past her as she watched the knights running from the shadows. When all was silent, she walked around the city again, a gentle voice, and a light heart.

'Children of the city of freedom,
I offer you a heartfelt apology,
Stealing your wings and tossing you in a cage,
Singing a song that was never meant to be.
Locked in a dreamless, eternal sleep,
Wake up at first light,
For eternal sleep was never meant to exist,
When the future is bright.'

After finishing her round with satisfaction, she headed to the rendezvous point—Angel's Share. Charles was at the counter, and looked up as the door opened.

"What would you li..." he trailed off as Lyra pulled off her mask. Lyra looked around the tavern. Looks like Diluc even managed to pull out the Knights who were here earlier. It was empty, save Charles, and the haunting tune of a lyre. Lyra took a seat at the counter.

"An Apple Cider Vinegar, please. I've acquired a fondness for the taste."

Charles nodded wordlessly as he mixed the drink, and Lyra pushed the coins across the counter. The door opened again, and Diluc walked in.

"Alright?" asked Lyra, without turning back.

Diluc took a seat next to her, his coat brushing against her elbow. "Alright."

Charles placed two glasses across the counter—Diluc's filled with a purple liquid, a little too dark to be wine. The door opened again, bringing in a chilling wind.

"The city will wake up in the morning," said Lyra, not even needing to check who had entered.

"Is that so?" said Kaeya, leaning against the wall of the tavern.

"So, am I being arrested?" asked Lyra. Kaeya held up a pair of handcuffs, which Lyra considered a self-explanatory action. Lyra let him handcuff her. "Could I place a condition? I mean, I did wake up the city, after all."

"You're also the one who caused this whole mess," said Diluc, taking a sip from his glass as if an arrest wasn't happening in his tavern.

"What's the condition?" asked Kaeya.

"I'll come quietly as long as you don't gag me."

"Deal."

Lyra held her end of the bargain, and came with Kaeya without making a fuss as he led her across the city of Mondstadt. Kaeya handed her over to Jean, as dawn broke through, and cheers and yells rang through the city. Lyra, who had pulled an all-nighter, smiled through her yawn. After ordering the knights to take her into the prison again, Jean headed down to the city to investigate.

Lyra leaned against the bars of the cell, humming under her breath. This time there was only one knight standing guard, which was quite a surprise seeing that she was more of a villain than the average criminal. After apparently convincing himself that Lyra wouldn't do anything to him, the knight gladly gave her information on the city. He told her that most of the citizens were confused, but everyone was awake. Business was conducting as usual.

"Are you sure you should be talking to me?" Lyra asked, looking up at him.

He gave her a sideways glance. "Not really, but you'll probably be given a death sentence or something, so..."

"So you're being nice to me cause I'm about to die," muttered Lyra. Gods could die, for nothing is ever eternal. Lyra would probably become a part of Mondtadt after that, a fitting end. She wondered if she were afraid of death, but then realized she would have preferred that to being imprisoned for over a thousand years. At least you weren't aware of time passing when you were dead.

Kaeya walked in, a grave look on his face. "Lyra, Jean wants to see you."

"Am I being given the death sentence already?"

Kaeya didn't answer, but simply looked at her somberly, creating a sense of dread in her. The knight stepped aside as Kaeya unlocked the prison cell, letting Lyra walk out. She headed out the door, Kaeya a step behind.

"You're really familiar with the halls now," he observed.

"I also remember the way the night shift paces," said Lyra, pushing open the door to the main hall.

"On your right," said Kaeya, gesturing to the door.

Lyra nodded, her heart in her throat. Despite saying she weren't afraid of death, she was beginning to be. She pushed open the door to see Jean and Diluc inside, a finished conversation still hanging in the air.

"So, why did you want to see me?" asked Lyra, breaking the silence. Kaeya walked over to Jean's other side and leaned against her desk, his arms crossed. Lyra waited for Jean to say it and get it out of the way, so she could come to terms with mortality.

"Would you like to join the Knights?"

"I laugh in the face of dea—what?" Jean blinked as Lyra continued. "Knights of Favonius? I could've sworn I was being given the death sentence!"

Kaeya doubled over in laughter, and Lyra fought against the urge to throw something at him.

"Kaeya!" chastised Jean as Kaeya continued laughing.

Diluc and Lyra sighed collectively. "Why would you want me in the Knights? I can't fight."

"No," said Kaeya, straightening, a smile still etched on his face. "But you can sing."

"You just want to keep a tab on me, don't you?"

Jean looked away, and Kaeya gave her an appraising look. "I knew you were smart."

"And if I refuse?"

"You go straight back to jail," said Jean. She really didn't hold anything back.

"I accept. Unwillingly, bitterly and grudgingly. But I accept."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~