Explosion

Lyra, despite being a Knight of Favonius however temporarily, had a lot of free time in her hands, so she shifted her attention to other matters. After a brief discussion with Diluc, she wrote down a little bit about Nocturna, how she looked and the like, and hung it next to his tavern, asking whoever saw her to report to Diluc. But after a lot of young girls used that as an excuse to talk to Diluc, despite not having any relevant information on Nocturna, Lyra took it down and asked people to report to Jean instead. There was no more word on her.

Lyra didn't have to go back to the library, but she still did when she wanted to. She had gotten comfortable with the walls of the library, the books on the shelves, the silence, the feel of paper.

"Cutie," said Lisa.

Lyra, who had been looking at the lowest shelf, stood up to see a rather serene Lisa, and wondered if it was the calm before the storm. She hadn't seen Lisa since the city was asleep.

"Ms. Lisa," Lyra said nervously.

"I hear you sang a city to sleep." Lisa's smile wasn't strained, but in Lyra's eyes, it was scary.

"Er, did they also tell you I woke them up?"

Lisa smiled. "I'm not here to chastise you, sweetie." She pulled out a book from the shelf and flipped through it, as Lyra watched. "My teacher was interested in your ability, but I turned her down. I don't think you would want to be a lab rat."

"Celestia, no."

Lisa laughed and turned away, raising a hand in farewell. "Make sure you return your books on time, or I might just give her the okay."

Lyra felt a chill down her spine as she watched Lisa's retreating figure. Leaving the Headquarters, she looked up the stairs, feeling an overwhelming sense of curiosity. She had never gone up them. She took the stairs two at a time, until she reached the top, where a fountain stood in the center of the plaza, sporting a huge statue. She walked up to it and whistled, her neck already hurting from staring up.

"Is this Barbatos?" she wondered aloud.

The person next to her nodded, as the ground shook and the sound of an explosion pierced the air, screams following.

Lyra turned to the Cathedral, which now had smoke pouring out of its windows and doors. People ran down from the plaza, but she ran towards the Cathedral, only taking a moment to spare a thought for her sanity. A red Abyss Mage was hovering above the cathedral, and by the looks of it, he was cackling. She gave it a dirty look, before walking through the entrance, where another girl bumped into her.

"There are people inside!" she said, as Lyra saw the sisters guiding people out. Lyra gently pushed the girl out.

"Let me." Lyra didn't think twice before heading into the fire, the pews and altar burning. Passing the door at the end of the Cathedral, she dodged fire and flames. She breathed a little freely inside—it appeared the fire had not yet reached this far. But the smoke was already beginning to suffocate her. Heading to a child who was crying near a door, she picked him up.

"Where are your parents?"

He grabbed hold of her shirt and pointed down the hall, and Lyra let him guide her to a room where many people had gathered. Most of them were elderly, perhaps beyond the age of sixty, and by the looks they were giving her, she knew they were aware of her deeds and name. She put the little boy down, and watched as he ran to a couple huddled in the corner, his blond hair a match of his mother's, and blue eyes a replica of his father's.

"Have you come to sing us to sleep?" asked an older woman.

Lyra considered her, and the mistrust evident in her eyes. "Not quite, but please do forgive me in advance."