3. Easy Does It

The next couple of weeks had been tough for me. After storming out of my home, I put the wheels in motion as laid out in the letter to Tom Martin.

As I had forewarned him in said letter, I took myself off to the World Union State naval office, to proclaim my right to safe passage.

The one-armed guard on the gates gave me a quick look up and down, taking in my frayed, grey dress and lack of make-up. His knowing expression made it clear that I wasn't the first young girl to arrive here in such a situation. And probably wouldn't be the last.

Times were tough after the final mutation of the virus. That's when it hit the workers. This being the late twenty-year-olds through to the mid-forties. Nearly all the registered working tax payers on this island had been killed off one by one. My own mother, a number lost in the calculations of the deceased.

Pappy tried his best. He'd managed to get a vaccine during the latest outbreak, and so he was still carrying antibodies when the mutation hit. He worked long hours to keep the bills paid. My sister helped out. Myself, only another mouth to feed.

Well, now he wouldn't have to worry about me and I'd be able to make a future, somewhere out there in the next destination of the World Union State.

I smiled coyly at the guard and gave my best 'please help me I'm a silly little knocked-up girl with no brains' act, while I avoided his direct gaze.

He spoke briskly and business fashion.
"Go ahead to the main building, turn right and it's the second door to the left."

The smile I forced out almost choked me.
"Thanks."

The naval headquarters were very well kept. Gardens of primroses and perennial bushes lined the gravel walkway, leading up to the low, redbrick building. Birds happily chirped away and I could make out the echo of an officer's voice drilling his men from an area beyond the building.

I followed the path and took a right around the headquarters toward the second door on the side wall. The first door was black metal, shut fast by a heavy, iron bolt. The second door, a metal painted in a light grey, perched half open with a big rock.

Hesitating at the doorway, a rush of fresh, spring breeze quickened my decision to get on with it and go in instead of turning around and running straight back home.

I'm still not sure if I made the best decision.

My eyes grew accustomed to the dark interior about five seconds before I got through to the end of the narrow corridor. I then opened an inner, lighter shaded door into a spacious room.

The ceiling was so high that it must have reached up throughout the entire building. Windows of tall, rectangular glass, glittered with daylight along the entire far wall.

A small, round table had been set up in the middle of the room accommodating two women in uniform. One sat holding a tablet for the other, who stood beside her. Their raised voices indicated that an argument was in progress.

My sister's hand-me-down shoes made a reassuring click clack, click clack, as I inched my way over to the desk. The place smelt of peaches. Why on earth did it smell like that? The thought grated on my brain and refused to let go.

I arrived at the desk and rubbed my sweaty palms along the sides of my dress.

The two women ignored me and continued to discuss their differences in sharp, rapid phrases.

I cleared my throat politely.

They continued arguing. The blonde, twenty-something-year-old, sat at the desk and shook her device at her older colleague before creasing her otherwise attractive face into scowls of disapproval while she continued her tirade.

Leaning over her shoulder, the much taller, Indian woman shook her head, an action which sent her thick plait of glossy black hair swishing across the breast of her uniform's grey shirt.

"It's not the way it's supposed to be done!" She sneered at the younger, seated officer.

Once more I tried to make my presence known. This time with a fake cough.

It worked before I had time to regret it.

The Indian officer glared directly at me with blazing contempt for the interruption.
"Will you be quiet a minute, girl. We know why you're here."

Swallowing, I took a step back.

A few minutes more and a few more heated words, then the older officer strode past me and out through the door I had entered.

The younger, blonde lady slammed down the tablet - which I guessed as not a good idea for something technical - and beckoned me to come closer.

My father would never be able to afford such a device even after a year's work. The World Union State obviously had plenty of resources for this officer to not be concerned over its rough treatment.

As I shuffled forwards and stood rigid in front of her cool gaze, she picked up a pair of red glasses and put them on. She leaned back casually in her plastic chair, folding her arms.

"Do you expect to be repatriated or to be relieved of the problem?"

I'd looked up on the Internet at the library what the choices would be so I had my answer prepared.
"Repatriated."

Was that really my voice? Squeaky and so girly?

Picking up her tablet, the blonde lady bashed her fingers across its screen.

"Next departure is Tuscany. Tomorrow evening. I understand that your doctor has sent us the pregnancy confirmation. Are you prepared to be cleansed here or have you arranged to do so at a private clinic?"

Hardly feeling the need to reply, I gestured at my clothes and the lady nodded in comprehension.

"Okay. Last thing. Name of other party?"

I'd read about this too.

"Tom Martin."

The officer's mouth scrunched up as she sighed and took off her glasses. Placing them down carefully she tapped away at her device. When she eventually looked up I thought I saw a brief reflection of pity.

"You go back out this door and knock on the first door you passed. The black door. They will take you for cleansing to make sure you have no virus mutations or venereal disease. Then you will be taken to the dock and allocated to your shared quarters while you wait for the departure. Do you have any questions?"

I shook my head. Desperately fighting against the grin which cried to be set free. I'd done it!

Tomorrow would be the beginning of my freedom. My stomach fluttered and turned, saliva rose in my mouth.

I had secured a passage to a new life. Now all I had to think about would be how to deal with the situation within my body.