9. How It Is

"Why?"

"Franco was supposed to be your welcome guide. Someone must have really wanted to stop you from finding the colony."

"What?"

"Not 'what' - you mean 'pardon'."

"Don't lecture me on flippin' grammar, Dante."

"Okay, okay. However it's going to be important when you get brought before the Committee. I'm only trying to help."

"Well don't. I manage just fine."

"How did you get to be such a stubborn tyke, Poll?"

"In the infamous words of the late, great Lady Gaga - I was born this way."

"I liked you better when I didn't understand what you were saying."

"Dante- the feeling's mutual."

Throughout our ridiculous exchange, Marco watched us carefully. His head moved from one to the other, entertained by this volley of words. I got the impression that arguing with Dante was not an everyday occurrence. I snatched the opportunity to get a mouthful of pastry in, while Dante took a minute to gather back his composure.

"It won't be easy to get you into the colony. I'm not supposed to be here."

My mouth full of food, I mumbled back. "Why?"

"Don't speak with your mouth full."

Spraying flakes around I replied. "Give it a rest, man. Tell me."

"The lifestamp should have changed last year. I escaped from the Spanish colony and made it across the border with Marco here."

"So Marco is a seven too?"

"No, he's a free man. The World Union State only receives selected people for the colonies. Where were you told you would be transferring to? You're way too young to be relocated without a family member - and you're definitely not a genius of any sort! Is there something you're not telling me?"

Avoiding his scrutiny I swallowed my food and tossed back my hair.
"How do you know that I'm not a genius? You don't know anything about me."

Dante sighed. Marco continued to watch, fascinated even if he could only understand the language on Dante's side of the argument.

"Listen, tyke, grow up a minute, stop being such a spoiled brat and tell me the truth. Why did they select you for a colony? The selection and reanimation process is wasted on a little girl like you. What aren't you telling me?"

I didn't want him to know. Why did he have to dig this up now? I didn't want to have this wonderful, handsome man learn about my past. I concentrated on scoffing the last of my pastry, then I snatched his half as well.

Dante sat back and let out a long breath. He looked at Marco while he spoke.
"It has to be some other selection point. I can't see you being from a line of royalty, or government official, and certainly not a spy. How on earth did you manage to..?"

Marco raised his eyebrows as he and Dante came to the same conclusion together.

"Really?" Dante asked him. Marco glanced at me, then slowly nodded his head. I kept eating, there was no way they would guess.

Dante turned to face me again. This time his expression didn't look so open and friendly.
"You're one of them, aren't you, Poll?"

"I have no idea what you mean."

"One of the providers. It's the only explanation I can think of."

The atmosphere in the kitchen was getting thicker. The room became smaller. I cleared my throat and brushed the crumbs from my sweater.
"That depends - what's a provider?"