1. Under the same stars

Chapter one

The tranquil evening was a perfect chance to catch a breath from the chaos that prevailed during the day. Everything was too loud for people, who enjoyed having a quiet moment for themselves. For people like Eris.

The late September wind mixed with the cigarette smoke, which escaped her reddish lips. She crossed her legs while playing with the lighter in her hand and holding the burn in another one. The sky quickly melted into the dark shade of blue, for the stars to decorate it with their lights at sight.

Once Eris finished the first cigarette, she threw what was left of it on the ground and stepped on it, trying to mix it with the dirt as much as possible. She was thinking about taking out another one but was soon interrupted by her friend's voice.

"Here you are. I was looking for you everywhere," the blonde complained, taking a seat by Eris on the cold stone. "Of course, you are smoking again."

"You are awfully right, my love. This is never going to change," she chuckled, while taking out the package from her hide, "Do you want one?" she opened the little box, which was quickly snatched by the girl next to her. "Maya! That's my last package, give it back," Eris whined, trying to grasp the box back.

"Not happening, we have to go to the castle. If Snape catches us, we're done," Maya reminded her friend of the real world. "Well, maybe not me, but he already caught you a few times. I don't think you want to say goodbye to Hogwarts on your last year," she lectured, knowing she had it easier since she was a Slytherin.

"I can't seem to care less, really. With Snape as the Headmaster and Voldemort's return, nothing is the same anymore. Everything is so dull," she expressed with monotone energy.

Eris looked at the outline of the Quidditch Pitch, wondering if anyone could be spying on her at the very moment. In those days, everything was possible. Death Eaters had it easy when it came to mixing with all the witches and wizards, making themselves practically invisible. You had to keep your eyes open day and night

"I know," the Slytherin sighed while grabbing Eris' hand in hers, "Perhaps we're not kids anymore, but there's only one more year to go. Then, we're free. And we can leave. We will forget about this shithole. Things are falling apart, but at least we have each other, right?"

"Right," the brunette sent Maya a half-smile. "At least I have a friend who's constantly stealing my cigarette's. That's the bright side," she joked, "And I'm not a Gryffindor. They are so fucked when it comes to Severus," she added, taking off the blue and white tie, and unbuttoned the first two buttons of her shirt.

"Sadly, it is true," she answered, giving the package of burns back to the Ravenclaw.

"Thank you very much, Miss Middleton." Eris kissed the top of Maya's hand and smiled at her victoriously.

"Alright, let's go. I'm starving." the blonde stood up from the window arch, soon followed by Eris.

The girls headed back into the castle, leading their feet to the Great Hall. As they walked in, they almost felt the same way when they arrived at Hogwarts for the first time. Except, the atmosphere wasn't as blissful as all those years ago. It was rather mournful, even if smiles guested on some student's faces.

Maya and Eris took their seats by the Ravenclaw table, digging into the food. Eris peeked at the teacher's table, looking at all the Professors trying so hard to not look worried. They all were afraid for the students, especially for the younger one's. Those kids weren't prepared for anything that might have happened. They barely began their education, in addition, under Snape's rules.

"I feel sorry for them," the brunette spoke, glancing at the young students. "I never liked Dumbledore, but at least everything was peaceful. Hogwarts was way more lively than it is now. It's sad they are not able to experience it."