4. Malfoy's nature

Chapter four

"I feel much better now. I'm glad you have a shower in this little shithole of yours." Eris spoke, as she stepped outside the bathroom.

"Hey, it's cramped but cosy. And it's better than staying at the old man's house," Preston answered and poured the water into a kettle then turned it on.

"Is it still as bad as it was with your dad?" she took a seat on the countertop.

"Pretty much, yeah. We haven't talked since I moved out."

"What about your mum?"

"What about her? She's not going to change. She can eat the rich, along with my dear ol' daddy."

Eris watched Preston take out two different cups. He reached for a jar of coffee and poured two teaspoons of it into each cup.

"Seriously, Eirene, I'm more than good with staying here." he reached to the fridge for a bottle of milk, which he put on the countertop, "I am doing great with everything."

"I believe you. But sometimes you simply forget it's not bad to ask for help. You can tell us if you need anything."

"I'll keep that in mind." he rested his hand on Eris' thigh. "So, you're going back to school today?"

"So excited, as you can see. I absolutely love studying useless crap." she put her hand over his.

"Don't we all?"

Eris used to appreciate her time at Hogwarts more when she was younger. When magic was something fresh and unknown. The spells appeared to be endless and the abilities of potions forbidden. Now that she had all the knowledge and experience, some things shifted into dullness. Her last year was dragging on mercilessly.

The kettle let out a single pop sound, informing them the water had boiled. Preston reached for it and poured it over the coffee. He added milk and then moved one of the cups closer to Eris.

"I feel horrible for leaving you two after our classes yesterday." he took the cup into his hand and sat on the counter next to Eris, "I have a feeling like Niles angry with me."

"He's not angry," Eris assured after taking a sip of the coffee, "He has no reason to be. You're worrying too much."

"Do you think we should wake him up?" he shifted his eyes to the bedroom door.

"Looking at the amount of alcohol he drank yesterday, I'm guessing he would love to sleep in."

"I guess you're right," Preston sighed heavily.

"Just tell him you fancy him already," she spoke after analysing Ainsworth's expressions for a while.

"Have you lost the plot?" he shifted his eyes on her, "I can't just walk into the room and say that I love him out of blue. This isn't how the world works. You should know that already," he shook his head, earning a chuckle from the brunette.

"Trust me, I know." Eris rested her head against the wall behind her, "Love is a mess."

"Looks like someone is quoting me. I feel like a poet." Preston put his hand on his chest, striking a dignified pose.

"Yet, you still have fallen in love," she pointed out," How did that happen, my greatest poet of all time?"

Preston lost himself in his thoughts before finding the proper words.