chapter 18

(Karl POV)

Here's your lesson of the day: it's hard to pretend that you didn't kiss your crush of three years during lunch break. It is really hard.

A big, goofy smile is glued over my mouth the rest of the day, and I can't take it off. Dream and George can tell something's up. Skeppy and Bad are oblivious. 

"What happened?" George hisses as we walk towards his car. The six of us are going to the movies, and Dream's car is the biggest. And the ugliest. It's a putrid lime green, but somehow, Dream likes it. 

I look over at George, the smile not faltering. He squints at me. "I know something happened. I will find out, Nick tells us everything. He's only hid one thing from us, and that only lasted two weeks," George says, still eyeing me. My smile sticks. He gives up and skips over to Dream. 

I fall into step with Nick. George bursts out laughing when Nick grabs my hand. 

(Nick POV)

Horror movies.

It's always horror movies. 

There's only three reasons horror movies are good: 
1. good for scary, stormy nights if you want to get even more scared
2. good for sleepovers
3. good if you want your crush/boyfriend/I-don't-fucking-know to almost mutilate your arm

Which is what Karl is doing right now. 

He yelps quietly for the third time in a row and buries his face into my arm. I flinch as another demon-monster-fuckthing pops out and reach up to pat his shoulder with my half dead hand. I'd use my other hand, but it's super greasy from popcorn.

He mutters something quietly into my sleeve. "What's wrong?" I whisper. 

"Wanna go," he mumbles. I smile and pat his shoulder again.

"I kinda wanna see where this goes," I reply quietly. He grunts and squeezes my arm tighter. I smile again. "We'll leave soon," I promise. 

~~

It's a half hour before we leave. The movie's almost over anyway.

I inch past our friends, explaining why we're leaving. "We'll meet you guys at your house," Skeppy hisses. I give a thumbs up before leading Karl out of the theatre. 

"You really don't like horror movies, huh?" I ask as we get into my car. He shoots me a glare as he buckles in. I snort and turn on the ignition. I back out and pull out of the parking lot, heading towards a Starbucks. 

"Two vanilla iced frappes, please. Medium," I say into the intercom. He looks at me with a weird look. "Did you not want that? I'm sorry, I thought you like that drink. Should I go through again?" I ask hurriedly. 

He smiles and shakes his head. He starts looking around the car, the pencil always tucked behind his ear already pulled out. I roll my eyes and open the glove compartment. A bunch of slips of paper sit on top of a Sudoku book my mom left in here. Karl raises an eyebrow at the book and grabs a piece of paper. 

I'll pay, he writes. 

"No can do," I say as we pull up to the window, but before I can even let go of the wheel to grab my wallet, Karl is leaning over me, handing his card to the girl in the window. She hands him the machine and he does the transaction half on top of me. We get our coffees and leave. 

"I hate you," I mutter. He just giggles.

~~

"Aloha, bitches," I say as Dream and George walk into my house. My parents aren't here, so it'll just be the six of us.