Lucius Malfoy versus Clothing!

This was it.

This was the meeting that Albus had been so dreading since the fateful sorting feast last week. Unfortunately, his own investigations into what exactly had transpired were unveiling more questions than answers. For one, the Hat actually was sapient, which raised all sorts of questions about the types of magic used in its creation. Sure, magical paintings imitated intelligence, but they lacked the fundamental ability to learn.

The Hat was intelligent. It had a mind of its own, and unfortunately, that mind was a little bit mad. Albus supposed that the long periods of isolation from year to year didn't do wonders for its sanity. He was sincerely regretting not consulting with the Hat more often, as so many previous headmasters did. Such were the downsides of having three full-time jobs.

The Hat was also terrifyingly intelligent, in spite of, or perhaps even because of, its madness. Every time Albus tried to find a way around the Hat's insane plan, he found himself blocked by some obscure clause in a long-forgotten term of the Hogwarts bylaws. It had taken him almost two weeks of navigating the unabridged bylaws before he finally conceded defeat. Now he just had to hope that his... guest... was able to see things in that light.

At that moment, a knock sounded on the office door, forcing Albus away from his thoughts. Without waiting for a response, a man with long, blonde hair and aristocratic features strode into the office.

"Dumbledore" Lucius Malfoy acknowledged, letting just a hint of distaste enter his tone.

"Hello, Lucius. I assume you are here to request several resortings on behalf of the board of governors?"

Lucius paused before replying. "Yes, that is why I am here. A great many families were upset not to have their children carry on their legacies. I trust that you have no intent to prevent the resortings from occurring? It wouldn't be good to be seen opposing the board of governors, after all."

Albus sighed. "I have no intent to interfere, but unfortunately, a resorting is not possible."

As Lucius processed that information, a scowl came onto his face. "And why, pray tell, is that?"

Another sigh escaped Albus's lips before he began speaking. "Because of an old clause in the Hogwarts bylaws that states that being sorted beneath the Sorting Hat constitutes a magically binding contract. In order to nullify that contract, both involved parties must consent to a resorting."

Lucius's voice now held a tone of anger. "And who... is the other party?"

Albus dejectedly gestured to the shelf where the Sorting Hat rested, directing Lucius's gaze to the left. "The Hat."

A deafening silence filled the room as Lucius processed this information. He turned back to Albus, cold anger evident in his tone.

"You mean to tell me that my son is forced to be in Gryffindor under threat of losing his magic because a hat says so?"

Another long pause.

"Yes."

"Hah! Serves the little shit right!" The Sorting Hat yelled.

Fury filled Lucius's expression as he stormed over to shout at the Hat.

As the shouting match went on, Albus softly banged his head against his desk.

Why couldn't he have a quiet year for once?

Anyone who had visited both the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor common rooms would note that, besides colour, they look almost identical.

While some might find this unusual, given the the Gryffindor common room is in a tower on the seventh floor and the Hufflepuff common room is in the basement, anyone familiar with magic knows better than to overthink such matters.