III

Drake was lying under the vast night sky, out of the cave, thinking of Lycaon's story. How could he, an abnormal troubled child with no father, become the next Werewolf and carry on the legacy of the King of the Beasts? It was way out of his league.

I'm sure there is some kind of misunderstanding, I can't be what they think I am, I am not a werewolf and I DEFINITELY can't be the next King. All of this is stupid! How can there be gods from Greek mythology? It just makes no sense at all! Even if there are Gre- A voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Drake! Here you are, child. Look, I am aware that this may be a little too much for you to take in, but you must understand that we do not have much time, which is why we are trying to... How do you mortals say... Yes, rush things up. We must prepare you for a war that may be as big as the War of the Titans. Like it or not, the prophecy will be aimed at you this time. So tell me child, are you ready to start your training?"
Drake thought about it for a while, his mother would have totally been agai- wait a minute, his mother!
"Lycaon! I forgot to tell my mother! She must be worried sick about me right now! We must tell her!"
"Oh, boy, that is dreadful. Well, you must go to your mother, tell her everything, she will know. But be careful of your step-dad, he must not hear a word of this. I will tell Dominic to accompany you. Go now."

Half an hour later, Dominic pulled over the car a block away from Drake's house.
"Why have we stopped here?"

"Well, I cannot come, can I?"

"Why can't you? Mom will be surprised and happy to see you after all these years! You can't do this to her! Don't you know how much she loves you? Don't you lov-"

"Kid, shush! How much can you talk, huh? Look, I'm dead for your mom, I no longer exist and it should stay that way. Why do you think I left all of you? Because it wasn't safe for me to be there! The day before I left, a pack of hellhounds were going to attack the house, I stopped them right at time.
Now look, when you go in there, you speak to your mom alone, she might feel bad initially but she will give in. She knows about all this. But she shouldn't get one hint about me. Get it, kid?"

"Yes Grandpa Dom, got it. You still got the bossiness in you, huh?"

"Well, what can I say? Alright now, go on and I'll be right here tomorrow at 5 a.m. See ya later!"

Drake jogged towards his home and rang the bell. There were shuffling sounds from inside and the door opened half a minute later. It was Drake's step-dad.

"Drake! My God, where WERE you?"

"I... Umm... Wanted some time alone after school, had a rough day. Where's mom?"

As if right on cue, Charlotte appeared from behind, "Drake, what happened son? Are you alright?"

"Yeah mom, I'm good now. I want to talk with you... Privately."

"Sure, let's go to your room. Tom, give us a few minutes, will you?"

Tom looked hesitant at first but agreed.
When they entered the room and sat on Drake's bed, he told his mom the whole story and replaced Dominic with Anthony. Charlotte looked worried at first but then slowly gave in.
"When are you going back, Drake?"

"Next morning, mom. Look, I have to go. I wasn't ready for this, but I am now. Whatever or whoever is coming, they're coming for me. I gotta stop before it leads to a war."
Tears welled up in Charlotte's eyes, "My son, how quick have you grown up? Drake, you will be one of the best heroes the World has ever seen. Make us proud son." Her smile relieved Drake and they both embraced each other in a hug.
"I will mom... I will."