Chapter 20

I packed up my bag quickly, and got up from my seat with my eyebrows furrowed in utter confusion. Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I walk slowly towards the front of the class, and towards the officers.

The whole class had broken out in silent whispers, that grew louder as I walked down the hall towards the principal's office. They were probably thinking the same thing as I was, what did I do? Did it have something to do with Elijah's death? Am I going to jail?

"Sit, please." The principal turned the chair that was facing front of his desk, so that it was now positioned facing everyone in the room.

I sat down hesitantly, staring at the two police officers who shut the door behind them. One was a man, maybe in his early thirties. He was quite tall and fit, with short brown hair, and hazel eyes. He was standing on the left side of the other officer with his hands down by his sides.

The other police officer was a woman, in her late twenties, with icy blue eyes and long blond hair that was pulled tightly into a bun at the top of her head. Her hands were resting on her belt, and one of them on the gun. My eyes were trained on the gun until the man broke me from it.

"Hi, my name is Officer Jackson and this is Officer Lopez," The hazel eyed police officer said, gesturing to both of their name tags. "Now you're probably wondering why we called you out of class."

No shit. I thought sarcastically to myself, but I was really nervous. Had they somehow linked Elijah's death to me? And if they had, then how? I was nowhere near Elijah the night of the accident. I was at home with my paren- and then it hit me, like a slap to my face or a punch in the gut. My parents.

I didn't say anything so the cop just continued. "Well your parents, William and Diane, they hadn't shown up for work yesterday so their co-worker called us and told us that you had called the day before, asking when they'd left work." He took a deep breath and looked over at the other officer, before continuing. "After the phone call, we decided to go looking for them..."

"You found them?" I asked hopefully.

"Well yes..." He looked back over at Lopez, both having a pained expression on their faces. I knew what was coming, and the last bit of hope that I had felt, completely went away leaving a painful hole in my chest.

Lopez spoke up for the first time, after seeing that Jackson wasn't able to continue. "We found them in the woods. There was a lot of blood and we were unable to find the murder weapon. It looked as though they had been stabbed a few times in the stomach."

Lopez then continued to talk to me, but her voice sounded far away and my ears started to ring. I was no longer listening to either of them as I stared down at my hands that were lying limp on my lap.

My parents couldn't be dead. They just couldn't. These cops have to be joking.