Epilogue

She had yet to shower and the other woman's scent was still on her. It drifted through the room with her as she packed, each item shoved in her bag bringing a fresh wave, a lingering test to her resolve.

She knew she couldn't stay. It would be intolerable. There was no love between them as they'd both acknowledged. Only lust. But lust had its own power and the woman couldn't bear to be enthralled with that potent a mix. Better to go to him. So simple the joy of it- being subsumed by the universality of the 'we', buoyed by the oneness. There was no use denying it. She felt a flash of shame at that but this was the other reason she had to leave. How to explain that the horrifying part for her wasn't being controlled - no, consumed by someone - it was the fact that she liked it. Adored it. Needed it. Better than any drug - and she'd tried them all.

It was no longer a question of whether she would allow this to happen again, it was an urgent certainty. That high was worth the shame that followed.

But mixing lust and addiction was no good recipe for anything but annihilation. Keep things pure. It was the only clear option. She had to go to him. That was her choice. Even if her choice would confine her freedom.

With one last glance around the rooms she'd claimed as hers for over two years, she grabbed her shoulder bag and shut her eyes for a brief farewell to this life. Closure seemed important. But her stillness was fleeting: the excitement of the road ahead won out. Every ending is also a beginning.

She bit her lip then nodded once.

And in a flash of pink hair, she was gone.

THE END OF BOOK ONE