The Escape

I run as fast as I can, my feet pounding the pavement with the same rhythm of my racing heart. I blink away the tears forming in my eyes, as well as the blood that drips from the cut above my eyebrow. As I flee the Highland mansion, I run through my options in my head. I need to find somewhere safe to stay for a while, theoretically with someone who won't turn me in to the police, or worse, the Highlands themselves. 

I start to panic as I realize how many people I couldn't trust. The Hatfields own the convenience store on Main Street, which Harold Highland has partial ownership of. The Brighton family sits next to Henrietta Highland in church. And of course, the Highlands have the Lloyd family over for dinner every Thursday evening.

As I pass the Lloyds' house, I see the private drive that stretches about half a mile before it reaches the house. And then I remember who lives in that house...

I turn down the drive and continue running, wiping the blood from my face. This is perfect. Racing past hundreds of trees, I can see the house ahead of me. I leap up onto the doorstep, pounding on the front door as hard as I can.

I hear footsteps from within the house, then the door opens. There she is. "Please help me," I say, breathless. 

She looks me up and down, eyes widening at my bloodied and bruised state. Then, Diane Sherman ushers me into her house.