Chapter 13

August 1st, 2006. Since the night Dr. Loomis let Michael and (First Name) sleep in the same room, the two became closer as friends, which... unnerved the psychiatrist. A few days ago, Michael lost his temper with her and took out his frustrations on (First Name). Fortunately, (First Name) was not terribly beaten up as her arms and legs were the only parts bruised, but he was flabbergasted by how upset she was with him for locking Michael up in solitary for his harmful actions. He was beginning to regret letting the two have a "sleepover".

It was free time for Michael and he had nothing to do but stare out the window while waiting for (First Name) to be finished with art therapy. Dr. Loomis had decided that the two should minimize their time together as he believed it would slowly cause a drift in their friendship. The goal was for Michael to lose interest in (First Name), but forcing the two to keep distance at times perked his interest in her and desired to infuriate his psychiatrist by becoming closer to (First Name).

Michael side-glanced down at the ground when he heard the familiar sneaking footsteps of (First Name). He decided to let her "scare" him, that was her goal as per usual, but she failed every time. But this time, instead of hearing "Boo!", he felt her arms wrap around from behind and chirped, "Hi, Michael!" She immediately released him and walked around to stand in front of him with her hands behind her back. She smiled brightly at him which caused an abundance of emotion that bounced around in his brain and all throughout his body. "I have a surprise for you. Hold your hand out with your eyes closed." The 8-year-old told him excitedly. Michael blankly stared at her before he cautiously closed his and held his nondominant wrist out to her.

With his eyes closed, he felt (First Name) tie something around his wrist, the sensation of beads and string rubbing against his skin made him snap his eyes open. When she saw his dark gaze, she frowned at him. "I didn't tell you to open your eyes, but you might as well look at your gift." She mumbled before giving him a half-smile as she waited for his reaction to the gift. He looked away from her to his wrist and lightly flicked his wrist side to side to get a better look at his new bracelet. It was a simple handmade bracelet with split-colored beads. The first half of the colors were black with red swirls and the other half was solid (Favorite Color).

She lifted up her wrist and said, "I made us matching friendship bracelets. I remember when we were passing notes, you told me you liked the color black. I chose the ones with red swirls because you seem to... like to bloody people up and really like to look at their blood. And the (Favorite Color) beads are my favorite color!" After her explanation, Michael stared at the bracelet. Unmoving, almost as the same day when (First Name) gave him the drawing for his birthday. However, his expression looked dark and it made (First Name) believe that he didn't like the gift at all.

"I-I can take it back if you don't like-" She sadly spoke before she was interrupted by Michael from putting his hand over her mouth. Michael grabbed her wrist that had the friendship bracelet and lightly flicked her wrist side to side to look at it. "It's the same... I promise." She mumbled, her voice low and confused. He moved his hand from her wrist to her hand and interlocked their fingers together. (First Name) blinked before she gave a small smile, "I'm relieved that you like it. It seemed like you didn't really like it, but I guess I was wrong." She told him before averting her gaze and frowned at someone.

Michael looked over his shoulder to see who she was frowning at and saw Tripp being bullied by one of the new boys who were the same age as (First Name) and Michael. She loosened her hand to go walk to Tripp to help de-escalate the situation, but Michael tightened his grip on her hand and glared at her. She glared back at him and decided that if he was going to hold onto her hand, he was coming with her. (First Name) tugged him up from the chair and tried to drag him over to Tripp and the bully, but Michael fought back by pulling her back. From how hard he pulled her, he caused her to fall onto the ground onto her knees.