8. Faint Light

Normal POV

In the Fairy Tail guild, after Lucy and Natsu told the others what happened, all of their expressions ranged from shock to anger to sadness.

"I can't believe it!" Happy screamed while grabbing his own head with his hands while flying around the guild. "Blackouts and faints lead people into hospitals! I'm not allowing (Y/N) to be in a hospital!" He declared.

"Ugh! Relax, Happy." Carla sighed at how overly paranoid Happy could have been sometimes. "He's just injured. It's common for people to go into a hospital and most of them come out okay." She was hoping that (Y/N) will get out of this situation alive and well.

"If those good-for-nothing doctors know what they're doing, that is." Gajeel muttered loudly. "I hope they know what they are doing..."

"He has a point." Juvia said. "What if the doctors can't get (Y/N) out of this? What if he will-"

"Whoa! Hang on, Juvia!" Mirajane stopped the water mage from saying the last word. "I know we're all allowed to think...not so happy thoughts every now and then, but I don't think we need to go that far." Her main emotion tried to spread her optimism to her companions.

"One blackout, even at this age, is something a person can get out of, especially if it's the first one he had throughout all of his life. We've seen some people pass out every once in a while, right?"

"Yeah, because they were weak." Laxus confirmed while also stating his opinion on it.

"Exactly!" Mirajane stated. "(Y/N) is a strong person. He will get out of this with no problems.." She let out a sad smile, believing she had
convinced her members everything was going to be alright.

"Umm.. not that I don't think you're right, Mira," Gray started to talk, "but I think what Laxus was trying to say is that (Y/N) is in a brutal shape; when that happens to someone, it is a 50-50 chance that they will survive or not."

"He may have a strong spirit," Levy joined the discussion. "but it won't help if his body is not as active and healthy as it was when he was younger."

Suddenly, Mira realized the others were probably right. Her eyes went wide with understanding that (Y/N) might not get out of the hospital.

Time after the conversation has ended passed by slowly, as no one was sure how the situation they were in was going to end. Each member was deep in their thoughts, waiting for some hint regarding (Y/N)'s state.

━━━━━━━ • ☆ • ━━━━━━━

Normal POV

The Fairy Tail group including their external families all stood with baited breath in the hospital after the doctor said that he had some news after running a few more test on (Y/N). With all of their beings, they hoped that the words that would come out of his mouth were those telling them that he would wake up now. That he'd be back to normal as soon as he regained consciousness...

But of course, life was never that easy.

The doctor stood in front of them, his face unreadable as the group waited anxiously to hear what the doctor had to tell them. All they knew at the moment was that something had changed with (Y/N), and they were impatiently waiting to hear exactly what that change was.

"Mr. (Y/N)'s condition is worsening. His respiratory system isn't functioning correctly, and we aren't exactly sure why. We've done all we can for him, but nothing has worked. And as his condition continues to deteriorate, so do his chances of survival..."

The breath of the Fairy Tail members standing in front of the doctor caught in their throats as the man spoke. Tears slowly welled up in their eyes. This was definitely not what they wanted to hear.

The doctor could only sigh and look on with sympathy. This was by far the hardest part of his job, but it had to be done; they deserved to know exactly what was going on, what they now knew the outcome would be...

"His condition will continue to worsen until...until he stops breathing entirely... The best thing you can do right now is to make peace with it." The doctor added solemnly. He was so sad, so angry that he wasn't able to save this man. It never got any easier.

Sometimes, he really hated this job.

The only people to react to the doctor's words were Mira, Lucy, and Juvia, who immediately dropped to their knees and started sobbing upon hearing the news. Their husbands were not far behind their wives, sobbing as he hugged her. The others on the other hand were frozen. Jellal was looking directly at the doctor, while Erza's eyes plastered on the ground, a look of utter disbelief present on her face.

"How long...?" Gray questioned slowly, his voice barely above than a whisper.

The doctor hesitated a moment before answering. "I will give him until the end of the day...maybe sooner."

It was these words that finally caused Erza to react.

"The end of the day...?" Erza muttered quietly before her head shot up to look at the doctor. Her eyes were rapidly producing tears that fell down her cheeks, but she also held a look of pure rage on her face.

"THE END OF THE DAY!? HOW CAN HE ONLY HAVE UNTIL THE END OF THE DAY!? (Y/N) ISN'T SUPPOSED TO DIE! HE'S TOO STRONG FOR THAT!" Erza screamed at the doctor as buckets of tears ran down her cheeks "YOU SAID YOU WOULD SAVE HIM! YOU PROMISED!!"

The doctor became even more saddened by the reaction of the young girl in front of him. "I'm so sorry. We truly did all we could."

"Well, 'all you could' wasn't good enough, now was it?!" Erza spat, moving closer to the doctor to get in his face. "Go and get a real doctor to help him! Someone that can actually fix him!"

"I'm sorry, but there's really nothing-" The doctor was cut off by Erza, who began screaming once again.

"HOW COULD YOU?! HOW CAN YOU JUST LET HIM DIE?! YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!! ANYTHING!! PLEASE!!!" The desperation in her voice made tears well up in the doctor's eyes as he felt an immense amount of despair for the group in front of him.

Erza was going to continue screaming, but Jellal grabbed Erza before she could and pulled her close. Erza pushed away, trying to fight out of his grip. As she created some separation, she started hitting Jellal on the chest, hoping this would get him to release his hold on her.

"LET GO OF ME, JELLAL! LET GO! I HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE TO SAVE HIM! I HAVE TO! I CAN'T... I cant let him...die..." Erza's voice became almost silent as she trailed off. She stopped pounding on Jellal's chest and allowed the man to pull her in tightly to a hug.

Now, Erza simply allowed herself to cry. No, a better word for it would be sobbing, wailing in despair, dropping to her knees much like the others who'd done the same next to her. They were incredibly loud, and all of them doubted that they'd ever cried harder than in this moment.

Jellal dropped to the floor as well and he tried to hug all of them as best he could. Even though he was just as depressed as the group in his embrace, he knew he at least had to try to be strong for them. Though he was crying just as hard, he simply wasn't yelling out in despair as they were.

"I-I'm very sorry..." The doctor spoke sadly as he tried his best to stop the tears from rolling down his face. He then left the room, though none of the group even noticed.

The doctor was going to go call his son, just to tell him that he loved him...

The group were locked in the embrace for over an hour, just sobbing, crying their eyes out. The aura in the room was darker than it's ever been before, with no signs of it ever recovering.

After a while, the tears began to stop and they pulled apart from each other. This wasn't because they were done being sad, but because they had actually run out of tears; they literally lacked that capacity to produce more at the moment.

Though, this was beneficial, they supposed. If (Y/N) really was going to die, they wanted to see him one more time and be with him until the end.