11: A First Attempt

Dumbledore had sent me back to my dorm with nearly nothing. He had revealed to me that Snape cared about my success- but he was a teacher. It was his job to care about students' success, regardless of how he showed it.

Now, how was I going to get Snape to tell me the spell he cast, the spell that was so strong that it worked at the same time as You-Know-Who's spell. Oh- a spell that he didn't even remember casting. Because he altered his own memory. For some odd reason. And, somehow, Dumbledore expected me to figure it out. Why didn't he give this little mission to his Golden Boy, Harry Potter? I'd rather he figure it out than me. That boy always seemed to be able to get things done.

It was a few minutes before curfew, and a handful of students milled around the hallways, making their way to their rooms. I sighed when I realized that all that awaited me was likely a story about Malfoy and how he wasn't so bad after all from Riss.

I answered the bronze eagle's question at the door of the Ravenclaw wing, and made my way upstairs. Riss was still up, yet, luckily for me, she had other topics on her mind other than Malfoy.

"We need to go dress shopping this weekend," Riss announced. "There's less than a month left until the ball, and we need to take a Hogsmeade trip ASAP," she said, matter-of-factly.

"Good idea. I'm in," I sighed, burrowing into my covers. I was not excited for my classes tomorrow whatsoever. I had no idea how to go about extracting this information from Snape. Force him to take Veritaserum? I inwardly laughed at the idea.

"So... what kind of dress are you picturing?" I asked Riss.

"Oh! Well, I'm not so sure. The ball is supposed to be formal, right? And then we get to change for the haunted town tour. So definitely a nice dress!" She gasped. "How about you?"

I bit my lip. I wondered what kind of dress Snape liked. I huffed at myself for even having the thought. "Oh, definitely something fancy."

With long sleeves, I added to myself.

"This weekend, you and I are going to Hogsmeade!" Riss announced. "Oh, Saturday's in six days and I already can't wait!"

I almost laughed at her eagerness. I was glad she was happy and free of worries. Other than the dance, which was a month away.

A worry I wished was my top priority. Should I tell her she's dating a Death Eater?

I shook the notion from my mind. I knew she'd come to her senses soon enough and ditch him. I had other things to worry about. Riss was satisfied with my agreement to go shop with her, and she turned over on her bed, turning off her lamp. I followed suite, my mind spinning. All I could think about was tomorrow.

---morning-

Riss was gone from the room when I awoke, which was surprising. She was always one to sleep in. I grabbed my wand and lazily summoned my white converse with an 'accio!'

I brushed back my hair, tying into two low ponytails. I put on some rings, and tightened my blue tie. All set. I decided to skip breakfast, as I had already slept in fairly late. I headed down to potions, knowing I'd be early. Maybe Snape would be there and would discuss potential tutoring opportunities. To expand my skills or whatnot. I couldn't stop thinking about the desperation in his voice when he had talked to Dumbledore's portrait. I wondered where that stemmed from. It seemed like more than just a regular teacher's concern for their student to succeed.

I pushed the thought from my mind. It was ridiculous and a childish dream. I reassured myself this and it almost made me feel better. I was latching onto Snape because he was a Death Eater too, and knew what I had been through. Nothing more.