6

History

=-=-=-=-=

"Aether, the only thing I know about your sister is that she's alive and well. Forgive me, for that is the only information I can disclose. We contracted with the spirits to forbid me to say information about her to you," you said as his head hung low. You felt guilty, but if you were to break it, Lumine's spirit would disintegrate, leaving an empty shell, and your indentity would simply be erased from history. "Is that all?"

They both nodded and snapped your fingers once again as their souls get sucked back into their bodies.

"If you wanna clear any suspicions on yourselves, go to the Northland Bank. I'll be waiting there. You know what they say, 'walls have ears'", he said as he left.

"What do you want to do now, Alma?" Paimon asked as Aether eagerly waited for your reply. You sighed poked their chest.

"Listen, Diana is fine. You guys can go ahead. Whenever you need me, just call out my name. Although I can't teleport, I'll be there as soon as I can, alright?" you instructed as they touched the part where you poked them. "Hey, no touchies. Now go on, don't keep Childe waiting."

They waved goodbye before going up the Northland Bank. You, however, went back to the Wangsheng funeral to ask for...well...mora.

"Oh right, you want to learn about the War 2,000 years ago, right?" Hu Tao said as she was fixing documents on her table.

"Yeah, why?"

"Well, it's Zhongli's break today and he said he was going to Pearl Galley. He's suspiciously all-knowing and old-fashioned, but no one has doubted his knowledge so I'm letting it slide. You can ask him," she said as she gave you a pouch full of mora. You thanked her and proceeded to go to the Pearl Galley.

As you reached your destination, you immediately saw Zhongli sitting beside unfamiliar men. They seem to be acquaintances or former clients since the moment he saw you, he left them immediately.

"Diana, what brings you here?" he said as he stood up and led you at the end of the ship where few people were hanging around.

"I was wondering if I could learn history from you. Director really trusts your wisdom and knowledge so I'm sure I can learn something from you," you said as a girl approaches you with curiosity. She looked hesitant, yet she wanted to ask more questions regarding archaeology. At least, that's what her soul says.

"Mr. Zhongli, your argument exhibited acuteness of speech and thought. Most importantly, you don't fall for the boasting and acting of others. You remain objective," she started, "So I have a question for you, perhaps you will answer differently than the other scholars...Do you think that all the gods that the Geo Archon killed were evil?"

"I guess it wasn't just about archaeology," you thought. As they talked a bit more, you became bored and empty minded until a man appeared. His outfit was like the guard in Northland Bank, making him a part of the Fatui.

(I realized I'm too lazy to re-watch the story quest so I'll try to just tell the story without writing it word per word. If it bothers you, you can find another story. Thank you!)

"The Fatui brings no good when in comes to treasures. Paimon's already seen through you," Paimon appeared as Aether nodded in agreement. Before you could even make him leave, Zhongli stopped you, saying that he can come to your expedition to the Guyun Stone Forest in search for relics.

"What's all this about letting them take a treasure? You know one of them is bound to envy the other's chosen treasure," you advised him on your way to the Guyun Stone Forest. You made sure nobody is able to eavesdrop on your conversation.

"I already know that, Diana. I'm just trying to figure out how long he can keep his act up. Someone once told me that if people can keep up the "good" act, they are either sincere or hurting inside from pretending for too long. I've been doing it as ritual when I make contracts."

><><><><

"He's obviously hiding some agenda behind that facade!" Morax yelled as he tried to go after the mortal who made a deal with you. He thinks a deal is still under contracts so he wanted to help you in terms of fairness.

"Morax, calm down. That child is genuine. At least, when it comes to this deal. There are some people faking a front to please other people. They're the type to try and fit in with everyone even though they couldn't. Learn to distinguish them. We're Gods, Morax. We can easily destroy them with a snap whenever they do us harm."

"But you don't sound like a God," he commented, making you laugh.

"What can I say? I've been seeing through humans' souls for as long as I can remember."

><><><><

"Diana?" Zhongli called out for you as you were suddenly in a domain.

"How long have I been zoning out?" you thought as the man from the Fatui suddenly attacked you. Before you were hit, Zhongli casted his shield, which made him stumble back. He was about to land another hit when your finger made it just in time on his forehead. He soul flew back as his body slumped on the floor. 

"Did you kill him?!" the panicked researcher yelled as she knelt down to feel his pulse. She sighed in relief as felt a heartbeat.

"He's not dead. He won't die. I just separated his soul wherein when he goes back to a body, he won't remember a thing. His identity will slowly fade away until his soul would eventually find a body. And no, I'm not saying he'll go back to his original body. His soul's instincts would go after a living body-"

"Okay stooooopp!!!" Paimon said as Aether hid behind her and the researcher pulled the Fatuus's body away along with herself. Only the consultant stayed close to you. You were also curious on how his face remained constant but his eyes were the windows to his mind.

"I'm leaving first. Maybe we could continue our discussion next time, Mr. Zhongli," the researcher bid farewell, leaving the poor Fatuus on the floor.

"You've been staring for quite a while, Mr. Zhongli. Are you curious?" you teased as you placed you hand on his shoulder and started sliding your fingers down to his chest. You tipped your toes, making your faces closer.

"Aether, bring Paimon and leave first," you said as they nodded a reply and left. Before you could even speak, he grabbed your arm and pulled you even closer, making your noses touch.

"WHO ARE YOU?! HOW DO YOU MANIPULATE SPIRIT ENERGY?! DID SHE GIVE YOU A VISION?!" he shouted, making you flinch.

"W-why do you feel like her...this isn't fair," he knelt down, still not releasing your hand, "why did she leave you with something and we didn't..."

=-=-=-=-=

HOLY SMOKES I'M SORRY FOR THE LATE CHAPTER BUT HERE IT IS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA