Nagini

The First Years' dormitory lights up from the rising sun, yet the Slytherins don't rouse themselves.

I drop from Tom's bed and slither through a hole in the wall, beneath a wardrobe closest to the door, and into the hallway. I make my way down the stairs, and out of the Common Room. The halls are pretty quiet; Most of the students are still sleeping since they don't have any lessons today.

I wait for the right opportunity to leave the castle. It arrives in the form of the cranky caretaker, Argus Filch, and his hideous cat, Mrs. Norris.

"Oh, my Sweet, we'll get Dumbledore to have that nasty pest removed from here. He can't keep ignoring me forever!"

Mrs. Norris yowls in response.

Filch opens the doors to sweep some dirt outside, and I quickly slip out the door. Mrs. Norris hisses after me.

The morning air is brisk, and the grassy lawns are yellow and rough against my scales. But I know my destination, so I focus on that, instead of my discomfort. I must get there! I slip through branches and dead leaves, over the hard dirt ground, and in between the tall and ancient trees in the Forbidden Forest.

~•~ If only you could remember me, Master... You would be so happy to know that I'm safe. ~•~

I've gone deeper into the Forest, close to where the Acromantula dwell. They won't come out, they recognize me. They fear me. Honestly, it makes my little snake-self smile. I slither through their webs, until I reach the right place.

I'm in a clearing now. Everything is just as dead as the rest of the Forest. The only difference is, here that there is a humming sound, as if a young child were here, singing to themselves. A shiver goes down my spine. I recognize that voice. But it can't be them. It's too many years too late. Or is it too early?

I go over to the youngest tree in this area, flickering my tongue to taste the air, trying to catch their scent. Several Bowtruckles are squeaking at me from high above my head. There is a small herd of Thestrals watching me from the shadows. Two Centaurs are having a conversation half a mile away. The Acromantulas are beginning to stir from deep within their webs.

And there it is, the thing I've been so desperate to find for so long. The strands of a memory tickle the back of my mind, and I'm suddenly much older.

The boy laughs giddily as he chases after the Chimera. He's unaware that I'm chasing him. His laugh isn't cold like I've seen it up in the castle; It's warm and genuine. He's caught the Chimera now, and he's cradling it in his arms. He strokes its goat head with his pale hand, and I can see the brown, green, and black creature is completely at ease.

The Chimera nuzzles its lion head into the boy's stomach, and the serpentine tail is curled up on top of the goat body, shielded by the two dragon's wings on the Chimera's back.

And then the boy begins singing.

"~•~ Hissy hissy, little snakey,
Slither on the floor,
You be good to Morfin,
Or he'll nail you to the door. ~•~

~•~ Lions and Dragons,
Both creatures of great might,
You'd do well to heed the goat's warning,
Or you'll disappear tonight. ~•~

~•~ And when they're all combined,
Little Chimera, you are born,
Much braver, stronger, and faster,
But don't get too smug, you may still lose your heads,
One will be nailed to each of our beds. ~•~"

It's a song that has been taught to many children over several generations. Only those with the ability to speak to serpents can sing it. It's another way to distinguish the special children from the ordinary ones.

~•~ Why are you following me? ~•~  The boy asks, his tone cold again. He gives me an icy glare that says he doesn't trust me.

~•~ I am not following you, Child. ~•~

~•~ Do not lie to me! ~•~ The boy hisses, his eyes flashing.

Fear freezes my veins, at the same time that I am filled with a rush of heat. He truly is an extraordinary child.

I nod towards the Chimera still in the boy's lap. ~•~ How did you two come across each other? ~•~

~•~ I found him. ~•~ The boy shrugs. ~•~ What do you want from me? ~•~

~•~ Nothing. However, there is something you can have from me. A servant, a friend, an ally. There are many conspiring against you in this castle... I know who, and I can tell you who they are. ~•~

The boy stares into my yellow eyes. ~•~ Okay. As long as you swear your allegiance to me, then I will allow you to live. ~•~

The boy holds out a hand, an invitation. I accept it graciously. I coil myself around his shoulders, and hiss a greeting at the Chimera.

The Chimera growls at me, and swipes at my face. The boy stops his paw within an inch of my face.

"You will not hurt her!" The boy snaps at the Chimera. His voice softens just a bit, as he pets the Chimera's heads. "She is family now."

I am returned back to the present. I stare at the tree, remembering that time long ago. (Or is it the future?)

I crawl back up to the castle, with the treasure hidden safely in my mouth. By the time I make it back to Tom's room, he and the other Slytherins are already up and off doing whatever young eleven and twelve year old humans do on Sundays.

~•~ You won't be in the dark for much longer, Master... ~•~

______________
945 Words