Chapter Twenty Three - Goetia

❝ What do you mean? ❞

Areyth asked in a curious tone as she sat down before Veld as he poured them both a cup of tea. The older man removed his straw hat, letting it hand over his shoulder by the small rope he used to fix it under his chin. He clasped the hot cup of tea, gazing down into it before drawing out a sigh. Veld is a man of many traits, known in many nations, and knows of many things from his trips around the world. The older man frowned before looking up at Areyth as he spoke.

❝ Well... Let's say I've heard some things here and there, though I would never have made the connection until recently when Romeo got back from his mission. ❞ Veld sighed, rubbing the back of his head as he looked up at the female, who was only growing more curious.

❝ Mission? ❞

❝ Well, you know how Romeo just got back from that mission regarding the remaining Vampires? ❞ Veld took a sip from his cup of tea, watching the female look at him curiously as she listened to his words.

❝ Yes? I believe there were eight of them, but what does that have to do with him? ❞ She asked, raising a brow as she too took a sip of tea. She found it rather peculiar that he had bought this up, sine anything that may have been important was written in his Daten, which was handed to Areyth to file once the guild had processed it.

❝ Do you want to tell her, Romeo? ❞ Veld spoke as he looked up to see the blonde male standing in the doorway, his arms crossed over his chest and a rather sullen look on his face. He nodded, walking into the room before grabbing a seat and sitting adjacent to them. Areyth raised a brow and went to speak, yet withdrew as Romeo opened his mouth.

❝ Well, I was sent out to exterminate the remaining Originals since there were growing concerns regarding their activity. The guild and the church were both on board with this. However, it wasn't something many could accomplish. That's why they came to me, but when they did, I learned something interesting. There were reports of these individuals meeting with others, which was unheard of. Reports became rumours, and it soon was thought they were connected to a specific terrorist organisation that has been on the churches hit list since day one. ❞ Romeo spoke as he leaned over to pour himself a cup of tea, his words catching the interest of both Veld and Areyth, who were eager to hear more. Once he took a sip from his cup, he set it down and cleared his throat before continuing.

❝ But rumours are just rumours. The truth is, the vamps had no interest in meddling with the affairs of other races; even with their dying breath, they swore they had no idea of what I was talking about. Then, I meet him. ❞

❝ Iwan? ❞ Areyth raised a brow, taking the teapot to refill her cup before setting it back down.

❝ Iwan. ❞ Romeo spoke with a much more severe tone than before, his entire demeanour seeming to darken at the very mention of that man's name. ❝ After I had wiped out the ring leader, Iwan appeared out of nowhere and approached me. I don't know why he was there, but he said something about being pleased with my work, having done it for him. And then he said something interesting. ❞

❝ He is a Vampire, a Noble at that. And a very powerful one. ❞

❝ What? ❞ Areyth's eyes widened slightly. Though the remaining 'Original' Vampires were of pure blood, none of them held Noble blood. Their race had died out many years ago and had only dwindled through the ages. There are still incomplete vampires, humans turned by cursed blood- And the humanoid demons are said to be the progenitors of the Vampires, Draculae, which are horrid, ugly creatures that hide in the outer realms. Sadly, vampires in this world aren't the romanticised beings they usually are, and Vampirism is thought to be a rare disease procured from tainted blood. The Originals were a select handful that the progenitors gave both blood and the powers, and the Nobles were the purest form of that. The last known recording of a living Noble was nearly a thousand years ago, in the far eastern country of Braildorn. Though the remaining bloodline was wiped out, and that was all she wrote.