single

a/n: heyyyy welcome to the new book. damn near 8.5k word count LOL so be patient plz 😩

this is the most poorly written one plz read literally any other chapter i beg 🙏🏾

Narrator POV

"They're coming here? Right now? Like I'm gonna meet your mom and brother right now right now?"

"Well no not right now, this weekend. Try not to look so excited." Ariana's expression is plain as she moves from her large walk in closet to the even larger bathroom.

Y/n immediately thinks of how she should have tried to sound more excited but shit...They weren't even technically girlfriends. They were just...them really. Still. Being an anything to Ariana was surreal to Y/n. She's had a crush on Ariana Grande long before they ever met, who doesn't?

"It's not that I'm not! I just— I guess I'm just nervous, intimidated!"

She turns to face Y/n, the word intimidated bouncing around in her mind. Intimidated? Y/n is a very confident girl but she's still humble and she's still anxious and she's still timid in her ways at times. Moments like these reminds Ariana of those qualities in her especially.

Y/n blinks back at Ariana's pensive expression. There's no words to explain it really and that says a lot to Y/n, the girl who can be pretty good at reading the singer. She just knows the adjective she used was not expected and maybe received a little uncomfortably on the other end. It made her even more nervous, she was extra careful with her following words.

"Well I just mean like- I mean...Ariana, how are you gonna introduce me to them?"

Any other normal pair of girls who were sleeping together, going on trips together, and were factually obsessed with each other would probably assume the title of girlfriends.

Y/n and Ariana were both plagued with commitment issues. One having a tougher battle with it than the other though honestly.

"My friend."

Both girls feel like shit at the answer. Guilt. Dissatisfied. Stunned. Disappointed. Just shitty.

Y/n recovers quick but it's no matter. Ariana knows how her words have weighed on them both. She sees it. She sees Y/n's eye gloss over for a second as she tries to suppress any subconscious mannerisms. Ariana sees it. And if she were anybody else she might actually believe Y/n's feelings weren't hurt.

Yet they both are grateful for the fact they don't have to confront the gap between single and taken. Bittersweet would be the closest thing to an appropriate description of the moment and even that didn't seem right. The two were always skating along moments that were indescribable. And those moments came in both positive and negative variations. "Okay. I can't wait to meet them."

Ariana wants to say something, anything to make their situation less awkward. Make their connection more unified and solid. But what's there to say?

Their "situationship", for lack of better words, started casual and that was the best part about it in the beginning. Neither one of them were looking for something serious. It was fun to have their cake and eat it too.

It was fun to be out with someone else the night before knowing there's always that constant who couldn't wait to see you and embrace you the next day. Having options was just too fun, even if your favorite was always at the back of your mind. Even then.

This didn't mean they didn't get jealous. Oh their jealous streaks were terrible on both ends.

Even so, Y/n preferred to drown out her tossed emotions on Ariana calling her a 'friend' with mindless scrolling as Ariana just stared at her from the bathroom.