Helms Deep

Previously:

"He's-"cough "-dead." He laughed. "Took a little tumble off the cliff." He started laughing more.

"You lie!" Legolas shouted.

The small orc chortled and choked before he finally passed the ghost.

"Legolas," Annabeth pointed at his closed fist. "He's got something there."

Annabeth's heart clenched as Éowyn's face crumbled at the news of Aragorn's fall. She felt bad for keeping his survival to herself but that would raise too many questions. Questions they don't have time to answer.

Still, she couldn't resist putting her arm around her fellow blonde. "Do not despair,"she told her. "There is always hope."

"You are right," Éowyn said, wiping at a tear that threatened to fall. "And there is much work to do."

Théoden walked over to the remaining part of the Fellowship. Sharing looks with the men and completely ignoring Annabeth, he said, "Come, we must go over the battlements."

Percy and Annabeth looked at each other knowingly and he nodded. He took Annabeth's place next to Éowyn as the daughter of Athena joined Boromir, Legolas and Gimli in following the king.

"What are you doing?" Théoden asked. His eyes narrowed and darted from Percy and Éowyn to Annabeth. "Éowyn needs help making plans for the food supply and living arrangements. And we need your help to make plans for defense."

Percy squinted in confusion. "Ok? You've got Annabeth over there, she'll be able to spot a flaw faster than any of us could." He gestured to his girlfriend, who had her arms grossed and her naturally stormy eyes even more dangerous. "I do have some experience in organizing things like this so it's not like I'd be helpless with Éowyn. If anything I can just move stuff around for her."

Théoden looked like he was about to argue and Annabeth was ready with an angry retort should he so much as dare open his mouth. However, Gimli spoke up before either of them could.

"No sense in arguing, my lord," the dwarf said gruffly. "They know their skill sets better than any of us and Lady Annabeth would only challenge you to a duel and defeat you in a matter of two seconds."

Percy laughed proudly as Annabeth smirked. "Speaking from experience, dwarf?"

Gimli laughed as well and pushed past as few men staring in shock, inciting the rest to follow without another word.

-            -            -

"Aragorn's back," Percy said calmly as he sat next to Annabeth on the steps leading father into the mountain. She was taking the opportunity in the calm before the battle to sharpen her elvish sword for battle.

"It's about time," Annabeth grumbled. The atmosphere of hopelessness from the people here was getting suffocating.

Not only that but Éowyn's envious looks being thrown at her were also getting annoying. Unfortunately she could do nothing about that. It's not her fault she's a visitor here so she could easily join in on the fighting without anyone giving her too many problems. And despite Théoden's reservations on having her come with them, he had no protests by the time she strengthened the doors, prepared some defense tools such as several pots of rocks and boiling oil, and helped them figure out where the best place was to put the best men.

She could do nothing about the only weak spot in the fortress; a metal gate at the very bottom acted as a drain for the mountain water. Nothing except plan to put Percy there.