Chapter Six: Stargazer

The love boat sets sail through the icy water of the North Sea. The apostle, Knight_of_Cockn3ss, or whatever that kid's name is, wasn't joking when he mentioned a romantic cruise.

The traitorous sun hangs mid-sky as August trails across the deck. A beige fedora covers his dark curls and a matching cream-coloured suit over his sturdy body. In his right hand rests his laptop, he is not daring to leave it out of sight even for a minute. His eyes observe the surroundings; he must be the only single person on this trip, surrounded by timid couples on the verge of divorce and sugar daddies with their sugar babies.

'At least the young girls are pretty.' August greets a tall blonde, holding one hand behind his back and giving her a small bow before continuing on his way.

He'll have to endure this trip for a couple more days, which isn't ideal by any means, but he can't risk getting caught or killed. Airports all over the world are swarming with security guards, agents, and assassins on really fucking high alert by now, all of them waiting for him.

The irony of the situation is that a long time ago used to be one of them. A wanted target on a scale of world catastrophe would spin a web of agents worldwide and Agent Walker would always get there first. That's why they called him "The Hammer" - he nailed each target on the head, among other things.

No one cared about torture and extreme violence. He once brought back a target in such a dire condition that Erica was forced to send him to psych evaluation. He bluntly told the psychiatrist he enjoys the violence for no particular reason why, and then fucked her over the desk.

He scoffs at the memory, breaking into a wolfish grin.

Standing on the rail, his gaze is glued to the blue horizon, following the trail of sea foam left by the boat as it slices through the water, disturbing the peaceful life beneath the sea. Slowly, his chaotic mind begins to drift, reveries of the CIA reminding him of her.

Golden locks of hair glow like hot sand on a summer day. Sweetly, she jokes about buying a yacht, telling Erica to fuck off so they can leave everything behind, and sail into freedom.

Memories are perfidious. Why has she been on his mind so much as of late? She's been dead for years, flesh eaten by worms and insects.

She is no more but a sack of rotting bones.

To condemn her memory is more than she deserves.

August's nostrils flare. For whatever reason, his mind wanders to the girl who lived. Gently snorting, he shakes his head, remembering the condition of how he left 'poor little' Ingvild; half-naked, wrists tied up to the bed, probably crying to whatever father figure she has.

After what he did to her, she'll probably retire from Icarus.

"I'm coming after you," he mimics her voice in his head and laughs while making his way toward the stack of beach lounge chairs. The section is nearly empty as most of the lovebirds are dining in the main hall and unlike the degenerated visitors of this cruise, he is here solely on business.

Much work is left to be done. "Knight" has promised to meet him in London's sky tower, suggesting he may or may not have a source of plutonium. Whether he's a broker, a source, or a possible troll matters very little to a man on the run. Desperate times are ahead; he may be sticking his neck out, might be stepping into an obvious trap, but the choice is scarce at the moment.

'This is not the type of anarchy I dreamed of.'

That little girl, Ingvild, was the first to come. There will be others, endless more until the world will fall apart.