Chapter 7: Encounter

???...

The sounds of boots hitting against the muddy ground filled the ears of every person in the area.

Rain and thunder defeaned everyone who were present, mixed with the sounds of screams and gunfire, told everyone that they were in a place close to hell.

A particular person stood at the top of a hill, not a kind of hill you would find commonly, but rather the kind of one you would find on a battlefield.

A hill of corpses.

The man just stood there unmoving, the heavy rain descending upon his black hair doesn't even seem to flinch him.

A pistol held in his right palm, a shovel on his left, his uniform torn to shreds, and blood stains were visible on every part on his body.

He then suddenly looked up, rain droplets touching his bruised and bloodied face.

Thoughts of hatred, anger and sadness fuelled his mind until it was broken by a hand on his shoulder.

He turned around to find a man, his face darkened by dirt and fresh blood, his uniform also in shreds, and a rifle on his hands.

"Captain Henry, our army is in full retreat now, command wants our platoon on the rear!!" the man said.

No response.

"Captain, are you okay?" the man asked worriedly.

Still no response.

"Captain?" the man asked again.

"Captain?"

"Heyyy, captain, you there?"

------------------------------------------------------------

VERONIA...

"Heyyy captain, wake up!!"

Henry's eyes immediately opened, jolting his body forward and turning his head towards the voice.

"Oh" Henry said after seeing his trusted second-in-command Julios on his left side.

"You fell asleep captain, bad dream?" Julios asked Henry.

Henry then placed both of his hands on his ears and took a deep breath.

"Yeah, what you' waked me up for?" Henry asked his second-in-command.

"Apparently a group of riders were spotted following our army, Michael wants our platoon to deal with them."
Julios responded plainly.

Henry sighed then began standing up from his hammock, he then turned to Julios and spoke.

"Lead the way." he ordered with a smile, Julios complied and directly went for the tent's door.

Tossing the tent flap's aside, Henry was greeted by the warm rays of sunlight outside, the sounds of civilization quickly filling Henry's ears.

Hundreds of tents all lined up in the area they're army is currently camped in, thousands of people doing about their work and duties can be found everywhere.

Julios then began to walk towards Michael's tent, Henry then quickly followed him.

It took a few minutes until they eventually reached their destination.

Julios opened the tent's flap, revealing Michael and a few soldiers inside, they immediately saluted after seeing their superior.

"At ease, soldiers." Michael said to the new visitors.

"Sir, what would you like me and my platoon to do?" Henry plainly asked.

"I assumed Julios here has already briefed you about your mission?" Michael asked Henry.