Chapter 3: Right Place, Wrong Time

"I told you this was a bad idea!" Emilia shouted back at Sylvie.

    "I was following your lead!" Sylvie snapped back as she punched a guard across the face with her golden diadem. "And that seems to be going quite well doesn't it?" Her words were dripping with sarcasm, like a viper's fangs laced with venom.

    "Just shut up and fight!" Emilia roundhouse kicked a guard in the head, then throwing a blast of fire at his chest.

    "Piss off!" Sylvie hissed.

    Especially in situations of intense combat, tensions between Emilia and Sylvie rose exponentially. They often bickered with one another, sending quips back and forth whilst fighting off whomever stood in their way.

    A satisfied smirk grew across Sylvie's face as she glanced at the unconscious body on the floor. Shoving the diadem back on her head, the mischievous goddess blew a piece of hair out of her face. She glanced around for her next target, hand tightly gripping the hilt of her prized machete.

    Sylvie promptly moved onto the next guard that stood before her in the luminescent, abandoned bar. "Let's work something out." The guard said cautiously. "If you come with us, we won't hurt you and your partner."

Sylvie scrunched her nose slightly, smirking maliciously. "I've gutted men alive for less."

Hearing the metal ring through the air as Sylvie swung her blade, the enchantress let out an angry grunt before kicking the guard into the bar counter. The guard dodged her machete as it got lodged into the metal counter beside him. Sylvie attempted to dislodge it, but before she could, the guard punched Sylvie in the face. She growled in frustration before swinging her leg over the guard's head, hooking the crook of her knee around the back of the guard's neck. She furiously ripped her machete out of the counter and with a quick jab, she drove her blade into the guard's chest. The body fell to the ground with a heavy thud as the goddess retracted her machete.

    Sylvie glanced over at her partner. Emilia grabbed a large, red bottle off the counter and threw it in the direction of the guard, throwing a ball of fire at the bottle. It exploded, engulfing the ceiling and surrounding area in orange and yellow flames, knocking the female guard unconscious as the glass and fire scattered the room like confetti. The two made briefly eye contact, a twinkle in both their eyes as they had come to enjoy fighting alongside each other.

    The moment was broken when a guard charged towards Emilia, throwing her over the bar counter. As he peered over to look for the thrown woman, Emilia jumped over the counter and hooked her legs around the guard's neck. She grunted loudly, baring her teeth like a hungry wolf. As the guard attempted to loosen Emilia's grip, she grabbed his arm and the two to flipped through green glass table.

Sylvie watched as Emilia and the guard fell into a glass table, shattering it in the process. Emilia twisted his arm, making the guard let out a wail in pain. She blasted the guard with a blast of fire so forceful, it threw him through the stone floor. Emilia watched the guard disappeared in a flurry of dust. After brushing away pieces of broken glass, she walked over to Sylvie. "I didn't teach you that." The goddess said with a quizzical yet amused expression.

"I don't learn everything from you." Emilia grinned.

    It had been almost a year since Sylvie and Emilia had began traveling together. In that time, Sylvie had taught Emilia how to control her powers and emotions and taught her how to fight as best she could. Although Sylvie would never say it out loud, having an extra set of hands had been very helpful numerous times. But Sylvie would never admit to even herself how hard she had fallen for the extraordinary woman. The last thing she needed was to lose the one person who she cared for besides herself.