Chapter Six - Marco POV

I couldn't help it. I knew it was wrong of me to let her kiss me like that. She was still in a relationship. I was a rebound. That's all. Right?

But she intoxicated me. I knew I'd never say no, to anything. I couldn't. And frankly, I didn't want to. She came to me, so I was going to be there for her, no matter what ways she wanted me to be.

Watching from a distance, I noticed Morgyn and Jade's interactions to be far more strained than usual. They were incredibly cold. I sighed. Noticing Jade eating in the kitchen, I went off to find Morgyn.

"Marco, what do you need?" He asked.

"To talk to you," I replied, matter of factly. "Alone."

He nodded. "What is it?"

I looked around to make sure no one was nearby. "It's not my business, and I know this. But I can't stand to sit by and watch as you and Jade practically ignore each other."

He turned toward the bookshelf. "Then don't watch."

"She loves you."

"No, she doesn't. She loves you."

I shook my head. "No. I'm just a friend being there for someone being in a rough patch. The least you could do is work together with her. You are sages."

Morgyn shrugged. "Not my problem."

"Are you hearing yourself?!" I snapped. "You're acting like a goddamn child! You're hurting her. Is that what you want?"

Before I could say anything else, Morgyn blasted me with magic, knocking me down to the ground. I gazed up at him, shocked.

"She wouldn't be going through this if she had fought the urge to kiss you!" Morgyn snarled. "I trusted you, Marco! I trusted her! You both broke my trust and I've fallen out of love with her. Take her. I don't care. But leave me be!"

I stood up and started to walk away. "As a safe, I would think you'd know the difference between a real kiss and an infatuation spell."

"Oh, don't start, Marco!" He rolled his eyes. "Confronting me, trying to twist this to make me look like the bad guy? You're no better than you were five years ago! Manipulative, spiteful, pathetic!"

I couldn't hold back my anger. "What did you say?" I got in his face. "I have done nothing but help here! I helped you and Jade create the most powerful spell in the realm. I killed Vlad! Was that all for nothing?" I sighed and stepped back. "Even now, with my blood boiling, I would rather walk away than escalate this. Good day." I walked away.

"Yeah, walk away. Like a coward." I barely heard Morgyn's taunts because as I walked through the doorway, I saw Jade. She had heard everything. She was in shock, her eyes glassy as she held back the tears.

"Jade," I said quietly, immediately calming. "I thought I could….I tried….I…"

"He doesn't love me," she whispered.

"He's hurt and angry. Holding a grudge. I'm sure he still-"

"He said it so effortlessly, Marco! No hesitation. He doesn't love me."

I didn't know what else to do, so I pulled her into an embrace. She broke down, sobbing into my shoulder as I held her. I just wanted to hide somewhere and never return. Ever. I broke them. This was my fault.

Aidoneus stopped and I gazed at him sadly. He gave a small nod and walked through the corridor to see Morgyn.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Not now," Morgyn replied coldly.

There was a pause, and I knew Aidoneus was just staring at Morgyn. Waiting patiently for Morgyn to give in.