Chapter Seventeen - Various POV

Caleb POV

I called Ambrosia over to watch Orion as soon as I heard the news. There was a battle in Henford-on-Bagley, but I was specifically told not to join. But Jade and Marco called me to tell me where Ruby was. I had to find her.

I sped into Forgotten Hollow and to the red Victorian home next to my old house. I knocked on the door.

Inna opened it, and we both stopped.

"Inna," I said quietly.

"You finally came to see me, huh?" She smiled. Then her face fell. "Or maybe you're just looking for Ruby."

I hung my head. "I was hurt, I'm sorry."

"For sixty years, Caleb?" She glared. "Surely you just forgot I existed, despite me being your neighbor."

"Inna, can we please talk about this st-"

"No." She stepped closer. "I loved you, and you became a ghost."

"I-"

"You could have just said you didn't feel the same."

I looked into her eyes. "But I did. That's why I left. I felt like I was forcing myself to find someone after Ruby. I was hurt and didn't want to hurt you."

She looked away, but didn't say a word.

Ruby came to the door. "I don't want to see you," she said. "I didn't ask to return, and I certainly didn't ask to step between you and Jade."

"It's doesn't matter," I said quietly. "She left anyway and has been quite happy with Marco."

"You're not even going to try?" She demanded.

"Jade will do what Jade will do," I explained. "I won't get in the way of what makes her happy.

Inna walked inside, closing the door as Ruby came out.

I hugged her. "Ruby, I need you."

She hugged me back. "And I need you, but this is so unfair to Jade."

"Let's go home. I assure you Jade is fine with it. She was the one who told me where you were. If she didn't want us to find each other, why would she tell me?"

Ruby stared at me for a moment. "Alright. But if she has a change of heart, I refuse to stand in the way."

I nodded. "Of course, my love."

Morgyn POV

I stood at the ready, and Jade and Marco teleported in next to me.

"I hope you two kissed and made up," I glanced at them.

Marco nodded, standing next to me. "Yeah."

Jade stood at my other side. Aidoneus was beside her.

Damien readied an attack, which we dodged easily. In fact, the short battle we had weakened him enough where we stopped fighting.

Marco straightened and approached him. "Stop this, my friend." He held out his hand and helped Damien up. "Let's just end this now."

Damien clenched his teeth, firing an attack straight into Marco's chest. He fell to the ground, writhing in pain.

Jade darted to him in a flash, knocking Damien down with an attack as she did.

Marco was breathing heavily, blood at the side of his mouth. A strong attack like that, especially straight into his chest at close range was similar to being shot.

"What hurts?" Jade cried.

He pointed to his chest as his breaths became more strained.

Aidoneus ran over to them. "Jade, it's a puntured lung. Use a healing spell. It should help."