Chapter Eight

"It's intense, what happens in the OR when lives are on the line and you're poking at brains like they're silly putty. You form a bond with the surgeons right next to you. An unbreakable, indescribable bond. It's intimate, being tied together like that. Whether you like it or not, whether you like them or not, you become family. The ties that bind us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply...meant to be" 

"well, that's alright because i love the way you lie"

Lucy and Cristina barged into Meredith's room. Cristina was holding coffee. "I don't know why she's here either", Lucy said, rubbing her eyes. Cristina handed them both coffee. "Hahn is gone. I don't know why, but she's gone", Cristina said. "No way", Lucy said. "That's too bad, she was really talented", Derek said. They looked at him. "Yeah, you probably weren't talking to me", he said and got out of the bed.

A blonde woman suddenly ran into Meredith's room and hugged her. Meredith looked happy to see her. "Nice boyfriend", she said to Meredith. "I'm Sadie". Sadie and Meredith laughed.

Cristina, Lucy and Derek were in the kitchen. "Meredith and Sadie apparently went backpacking through Europe", Lucy said. "Sadie kicked us out of bed", Cristina said. "I know the feeling", Derek said. "How good of a friend can Sadie be, Meredith never mentioned her", Lucy said.

"Close enough to kick us all out of bed. Welcome to my world"

Lucy entered the hospital, and her father walked with her. "You look tired", he said. "You're not here", she muttered repeatedly.

Callie and Lucy joined Owen in the ambulance bay. "A victim with crush injuries is a few minutes out", Owen said. Lucy looked worriedly at Callie. Callie rolled her eyes. "I don't want to talk about Hahn", she said. "I want a patient that will take all day to fix so I don't have to talk about Hahn". The rig arrived and the paramedic Nicole got out. "We pulled this guy out of a working garbage truck", she said. The man was impaled on himself. Lucy nudged Callie and she smiled.

They made their way to the trauma room. "I'm getting no pulse", Lucy said. "I think he might've been sleeping in a dumpster. Breath sounds are good and equal on both sides". "I paged Shepherd and Sloan", Owen said. "I've never seen anything like this, so I want their help".

Holly brought the chart for Dixon's patient over to Bailey. "I'm excited for this", she said. "Don't be, Dixon's off", Alex said.

"What do you mean off?"

Before he could answer, Dixon arrived. She shook Bailey's hand. "I brought my own lab coat, since it's a heart transplant,'' Dixon said. She started talking about the procedure. Richard came over. "Dr Dixon, I'm Chief Webber", Richard greeted. "Kepner, Karev, get the latest charts and prep the patient".

Callie and Lucy were looking at the scans of the patient. "His femur is in pieces", Lucy said. "Except for the part stuck in his torso", Callie added. "I can't save the leg". "C-spine is clear", Derek said. "Can't get a CT because of the way he's impaled".

"Very limited window"

"We can't do anything because the femur is dislodged from the clavicle"

They stabilized him and started to dislodge the femur. The man woke up just as they released the femur, and screamed in pain. "Alright, get 2 of morphine", Lucy ordered. "Shepherd, apply pressure to the bleed", Callie said.

Holly was talking to the patient. "My previous donor heart came from a girl who was hit by a car while hitchhiking, and now I see hitchhikers everywhere when I'm driving around", he said.