Chapter Twenty-Four

"Doctors spend a lot of time focused on the future, planning it, working toward it, planning it, working toward it. But at some point you start to realise your life is happening now. Not after med school, not after residency, right now. This is it. It's here. Blink and you'll miss it. Did you say it? "I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life". Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around. Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow" 

"but who am i supposed to talk to, what am i supposed to do, if there's no you"

All the residents were sleeping in Lucy's room, waiting for her to wake up. Bailey entered the room, waking them all up. "Any changes overnight?" she asked them. "No", Cristina replied. Alex got up and sat close to Lucy rubbing her arm. Bailey's pager went off. "That's the chief. Somebody better make a coffee run", she said. "You all look like hell". She left the room. George got up. "I gotta be in surgery in ten minutes", he said. He looked at Holly. She was looking everywhere else. He sighed and left the room. "We should go too. It's probably gonna be awhile", Meredith said. "Derek said she'd wake up. What'd he tell you? Was that all crap?" Alex said angrily. "What did he say?"

"He said it may be a while"

Holly approached and put a hand on his shoulder. "She's gonna wake up", she whispered. She then left the room with Cristina and Meredith. Alex continued to stare at Lucy, hoping she'd just wake up. Holly put on her doctor's coat as she left the room. She then saw Owen and George shaking hands then hugging. She sighed, her eyes filling with tears.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up", Alex muttered to a sleeping Lucy.

"I have a headache"

He looked up to see her slowly opening her eyes. "You're up", he said. "You're up and you're talking. You talked, right? Talk!"

"I said I have a headache, stop yelling, geez, who pissed in your cereal?"

"Page Shepherd!"

Owen approached Aurora on the catwalk. "Hey", she greeted.

"I slept, Aurora. Last night. I slept for the first time... I slept"

"That's so great. I'm happy for you"

"I slept. And that's because of you. You came with me to see my mom, and then I slept. And I slept without nightmares. That's not a small thing, Aurora. That...that is everything. I can be a better man. I can be a better man for you. I hope, if you'll let me, I can be a better man with you. Don't say anything. Just think about it. Ok? Ok"

She giggled as he leaned in and kissed her.

Holly was walking down the hall when George caught up with her. "Holl, can we talk?"

"I'm busy"

"Walking down the hall?"

"Fine, George, what do you want?"

"You've barely spoken these past few days, and I know it's hard. But I report for duty tomorrow, I don't want to say goodbye to you like this"

"I don't either. I'm sorry, it's a lot to take in"

"I know. Okay, well I've got the day off, I'm gonna visit my mom and tell her"

"Good luck"

"You could come if you want, we could bring Heather, I'm sure the chief would understand"

"Nah, I need to work, and check on Lucy and stuff. You go, I'll see when you get back, ok?"

"Ok, I love you"