Chapter 3: 1-2: Prelude to Greatness

Chapter 2—Prelude to Greatness

Year: 2127 AD

I lazily twirled a silver ring around one of my fingers.

Yes, fingers.

I was reclining in my very own humanoid form, courtesy of a quick discussion with the Devs a while back. It hadn't granted me true transformation, not really. It would've been too game-breaking to let Players change Races at will. Instead they created a Quest granting a unique Skill, allowing me to shapeshift much like Doppelgangers could. I could only have one preset of each Avatar base type, though, so it was much more restrictive.

I had a blast designing my character, but the novelty wore off quickly. I still spent a lot of time in my original quadrupedal form, though these days it was so massive I had to layer on [Size Down] in order to fit anywhere.

The ring around my finger was of a snake swallowing its own tail, the sign of the unending Ouroboros. I had finally gotten it at Level 83 on a routine grind, allowing me to at last make my wish.

…It's bloody midnight right now, though, and I'm not about to wake up the Devs just to hear me demand things. I'm a bit of an ass, but I'm not a complete savage.

Also, it's more likely they'll be polite if I don't drag them out of bed, so there's that too.

Dammit. Six more hours until I can call up the Devs.

What exactly am I supposed to do in the meantime?

I walked casually into the Castle of Asgard, cool as can be. All around me Players milled about without so much as a glance, vindicating the time it had taken me to prepare this.

The ring on the pinky of my left hand was and Divine-Class Item called [The Humanities], which had the effect of making one's Race appear as 'Human' to all Skills and Divination Magic. It was a rare drop from a Boss that had taken me ages to farm, something I had to do subtly as to not alert anyone to my intentions. Even if it was viewed as a low-value Item at best, I couldn't have a single soul guess what I was planning.

See, the Devs recently made a small tweak to the game's mechanics. It was unfair for Human Races to be free to kill Heteromorphs without suffering the PK penalty, but rather than fix that issue, they just made Heteromorphs able to freely kill Humans.

Yes. Rather than fix the situation, they just deliberately made it worse.

Welcome to YGGDRASIL, folks, where the Devs are the biggest trolls on the planet.

Now. Back to my little excursion. I'm sure you can probably guess where I'm going with this, but it isn't nearly as satisfying to just tell you what happened, now is it? No, I have to tell you the groundwork first.

With almost zero Players aware of the brand-new addition to the game, my entry into the heart of Asgard went unquestioned. I strolled right down the golden streets, casually placing Items in places where no one would guess. Only one Item, really, just dozens of it. It was a one-use Item called [Spell Echo], which had the effect of repeating any Tier Spell below Super-Tier.

You guessed it, more rare Boss drops that no one should ever be able to farm without hundreds of hours of work.

Such an Item would be considered a cheat, until you realized that it was both rare and impossible to use twice. Or, hell, even use in a standard fight of any kind. The repeated Spell emanated from the Item, which had to be placed at least ten seconds before the Spell was activated. Actually setting the Item took another five. In a straight fight, that was fifteen seconds wasted when you could simply cast the damn Spell twice on your own.