Chapter 4: 1-3 Make a wish

I won't bore you with the details of how our guild was formed. i won't tell you of the lengthy process it took to get us to where we are now. i let momonga continue as guildmaster, despite his protests and my misgivings, for a few simple reasons.

in canon, momonga was the only reason that the guild stayed in one piece until the very last day. he led the guild by example, befriending each member individually and helping them to work together in complete harmony. ainz ooal gown was a group of people so diverse and strange that to lead them one had to be both extremely flexible and willing to bend over backwards to accommodate them at times.

if you know anything about me, you should've figured out by now that i don't really have that sort of skillset.

in addition, if i was going to dedicate all of my time to preparing for the new world, i wouldn't exactly have the luxury of leading an entire guild. coordinating events, managing finances, keeping track of forty-one different schedules… not to mention the fact that trying to get a large number of gamers to do anything is like herding petulant cats. i need to be able to operate freely, without the chains of responsibility binding me down.

so… yeah. as much as it would've been amazing to lead ainz ooal gown, i probably would've run it into the ground.

but wait, i hear you asking. why would i do all this? why bother joining ainz ooal gown at all?

well… it was quite simple, really. i'm sure you've picked up on it by now, i've made reference to it multiple times. i'll explain it one last time, just in case.

see, from the moment i figured out that i was in the world of yggdrasil, i realized something. if i stuck by nazarick, if i played my cards right, if i stood within its' walls while the game ended… i could become a god.

in this world, this magnificent world, i was a god.

i'll admit, at first the sheer idea was mind-boggling. but after the reality sunk in, i began noticing things that others overlooked. simple things. i realized that the artificial intelligence of yggdrasil had long since evolved into something more. these creatures could live, and more importantly, they could learn.

i was a god in the realm of mortals, given free rein to do as i pleased.

why did i ask for so little of the developers back in the beta days? they obviously expected me to ask for an entire world to be built in my image, so why wouldn't i do so? simple. this game, just like the 'real' world outside, was all just a passing-through point for me.

so rather than asking for a new world, i asked for my own race. rather than asking for some game-breaking weapon, i asked for my own 'territory', so to speak, with its own npc levels built right in. rather than my own game-breaking attack, i just asked that my race be able to guard beautiful maidens. i had my own section of nazarick all to myself, a place that i had absolute rule over, a place where the developers had granted me total freedom in exchange for monthly reports on the kinks in the software.

to the developers, i was the epitome of a comfort gamer. a role player. the kind of person who played only for fun, exploring the various features the game offered. an old man, living for the simple pleasures. they gave me a hundred npc levels as a built-in part of my character, and in return, i helped them better their game.

they made me a god, and i gave them advice on programming. who got shafted here, i wonder?

as the game further developed, they began implementing the more traditional raid bosses into the game. i took this as my long-awaited opportunity, charging out to confront them on my own and laughing in the face of danger. i challenged the first of them with absolutely no gear on me, trusting my [totem of life] to keep me from losing. arguably it was the single most broken accessory i was capable of equipping, making my endgame so much easier. its purpose was simple—granting me an extra life once every 16 hours. not as powerful as some armors granting much the same, but the tribal tattoo-like overlay functioned just fine.