Thirty

Sierra's POV

I walked into my third period English class, and immediately saw Hannah. She waved me over. "This seat is open," she said.

"I love sitting in the back," I said as I made my way to the back row.

"Me too," Hannah replied. 

"Good morning, students," the teacher called as she came through the door.

"Good morning, Ms. Johnson," a few kids in the class mumbled.

"Aww, come on. I know it's Monday, but you can do better than that," she said with a smirk. "Let's try again. Good morning, students."

"Good morning, Ms. Johnson," almost the whole class said with a more lively tone of voice.

"I see a new student today. Would you like to stand up and introduce yourself?" She asked me.

Of course I didn't want to, but I did it anyway. "Um, I'm Sierra," I said quietly while getting up from the desk.

"What? I couldn't hear you," a boy yelled before I had the chance to sit back down. Giggles came from some kids at his comment.

I could feel my face getting red. "Sierra. My name is Sierra."

"Nice to have you here, Sierra," Ms. Johnson said. I quickly sat back down and kept my head low. I just love embarrassing myself.

I didn't have to do anything in class because everyone had written papers over the weekend, and they were reading them to the class. I am so happy I missed out on that. I hate speaking in front of people.

Soon, the bell rang, which meant lunch. "Come on, I'll introduce you to my friends," Hannah said as we entered the cafeteria. "Hey, this is Sierra. Sierra, this is Rachel, Micheal, Brittany, Lily, Matt, and Josh."

"Hey," they all said.

"Hey, I know you. We have second period together," Lily pointed out.

"Yeah," I smiled.

"Uh-oh, the boys are out numbered now," Rachel joked.

"We can handle ourselves," Josh said. The other two boys agreed. I noticed a friendly smile given to me by Matt. Everyone else smiled, too, but it was something about him.

"Alright, let's get eating. Does anyone have anything to trade?" Brittany asked. Everyone started passing food around, trading their snacks.

"You can take whatever," I said, putting my lunch sack in the middle of the table. Everyone stared at me. Bad move, Sierra.

"Are you not going to eat?" Hannah asked.

"I'm not hungry," I replied.

"Maybe you should keep your food in case you get hungry later," Micheal suggested.

"No, it's fine. I usually don't eat lunch, anyway. I just don't get hungry," I explained, trying to convince them as well as myself. After eating three meals a day for several weeks now, my body has gotten used to having plenty of food. Oh well. I've done it before, I can do it again.

Everyone went back to normal, trading their food and eating. Everyone, except for Matt. He gave me a worried look. I gave him a reassuring smile. He smiled back, then went to eating. I think I have some good friends at this school.