Chapter 6 - Cursed Measures

Uhh... I'm not ded-

_________________________________________

Jacob couldn't sit still.

Even though Notch was the calmness in person, he couldn't calm down himself. The young employee was just too nervous.

Let's face it, who wouldn't be?? The Nether was open again! And by the time their scanners found the activated portal, the god of destruction would have already escaped!

He honestly never believed something like this would happen. Especially not on his shift! 

"Jacob, you need to relax." Notch's calm voice ripped him out of his troubled thoughts.

He looked at the bald god with despair. "B-But how can I?? The Nether is open! And until our scanners find something your counterp-"

While he was rambling a heavy hand placed itself on his shoulder. "Shhh... Stressing about it now doesn't make them work faster. It's only wasting your energy. And we better keep that for later." Notch's dark eyes looked straight into his own greyish ones. They emitted such an incredible amount of tranquility, that helped Jacob calm down.

He took a deep breath and reflected upon what Notch had just said. He was right. Panic wouldn't help him now.

"Sorry, sir..." The young boy muttered apologetically.

His boss smiled at him mildly. "It's no problem, Jacob. If I were in your shoes I would probably have acted the same."

It was hard for Jacob to imagine this. The mighty god of creation? Nervous about something. Noo. Not a thing. Not in Jacob's world.

Suddenly there was a quiet 'ding' coming from the computer in front of them, a small notification popped up on its screen:

Scan complete.

Notch smiled and clicked on the option Show Results. The computer worked for a moment, fans humming to keep it from overheating. Eventually it loaded up a map, showing a part of the overworld, where the activated Nether Portal was located, as well as a set of coordinates.

"It's... on top of a mountain...?" Jacob asked in disbelief. Who in all of Minecraft would carry ten blocks of obsidian up a mountain?

Notch shook his head.

"More likely in a cave underneath the mountain. Either our human - who must be responsible for this - mined the blocks down there and built the portal right then and there, or they used the bucket method. Both methods would need a pool of lava."

"Riiiight. And since it's not a completed ruined portal, like our previous scan showed, they must have done one or the other. Makes more sense to be in the mountain instead of on top." Jacob nodded along to his own explanation, until the next question came to his mind.

"And what do we do now that we have located the portal?"

Notch hummed in acknowledgement of the question, as he zoomed ou the map a bit, trying to get an idea of what the surrounding region looked like.

"I will send out a party to deactivate the portal and to scan the surrounding area for traces of my brother."

"Huh, sounds simple enough." Jacob adjusted the pair of glasses on his nose.

"Yeah" Notch nodded. "Let's hope my brother is still in the Nether."

"Wait- What if the human is still in there too?"

Notch turned to look at the young employee with a sad, but grim expression.

"That is a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

_____________________________________________

Ehhhh, very short I know. It's a filler I guess-