☽ Chapter XIII ☾

Their hope for an apology was disappointed. They all scolded at their own naivety, for even thinking the thing possible.

Theon hardly spoke to them. Apart from snarky comments sent to Jon, and some vague observation of the odd bird. Observation that died in the fool's throat under Almathea's glare. He then remained silent, and as far as possible from them, choosing the company of the guards to his friends.

Kreacher's eyes almost popped out of their sockets at the sight of the beautiful creature perched on his mistress's shoulder. Judging proudly everything around her, her feathered chest proudly puffed. He opened and closed his mouth several times, grabbed the copy of Slytherin's locket that he never removed from his neck. Before he could find the courage to say something, Thea interrupted him with a quick sign, indicating their need to discuss later.

As they dined, talking silently, a discussion, not far from them caught their attention.

"This place smells like rotten eggs." Erin commented to the other two women who accompanied her.

She sniffed in disgust, and tried to warm herself up. That night they had not yet put the worn blankets to cover the windows, just lit the black fireplace. Thea was surprised that she had the courage to comment on such a thing. As the conversation carried on, though, she realized the maid had no intention to be overheard. Unfortunately for her, she was. At least to the witch's ears.

"And it's so cold that my bones feel like ice." she added full of contempt.

"It's not that much." Erena replied quietly. "It could be worse..."

"Worse than having to go for days without bathing,being forced to sleep on the floor like commoners and enduring freezing rain just to get to a place that smells even worse than horse waste? We should have stayed in Winterfell, this place is hopeless. Lady Catelyn- "

"We are following orders, we do what our Lady tells us to do." Lyessa replied, in a bored voice, apparently fed up with the subject.

After that, the three maids remained silent. Thea didn't miss the bitter expression still twisting Erin's face throughout the meal. The young witch seemed to be the only one who heard the complaints, or if others did, none of her companions reacted. Curious to learn more, she dared ask:

"Those three... what can you tell me about them?" Robb blinked something knowing shining through his blue eyes. Certainly he was remembering the conversation they had a few days ago.

"There is not much to say, they are good workers and loyal." Jon said. "Lyessa is the youngest, daughter of one of the cooks in Winterfell. Erena was born in Last Hearth, but the family moved to Winter Town a few years ago. Erin has been at Winterfell for as long as I can remember."

"She was my mother's maid in Riverrun, and came with her to Winterfell when my parents got married." Robb added as an explanation.

That made the bitter attitude toward Thea far more logic. If she had been with Lady Catelyn for so long, always loyal and with so many years of bonding... It wouldn't have been surprising for the maid to take on her lady's opinions. And if Lady Catelyn didn't like or distrust Amalthea, Erin wouldn't as well.

Amalthea and Kreacher - Kadeem! His name was Kadeem now! Damned she really needed to get used to it! - soon left the hall of the Gatehouse Tower and ventured into the dark night. They entered into the rubble of the old castle and lightened a quick fire with a twist of magic. The night was starry, but dark, and they couldn't see much more than two or three meters around the fire and, in the distance, the small points of light in the windows of the tower, where the others still were.