Five: Comfort

Simon reluctantly clambered out of bed when he heard a knock at the door. It was probably a package his dad ordered or Sara visiting him, although he saw Sara earlier already.

He sighed as he unlocked the apartment door and swung it open. As soon as he saw who was standing in the dark hallway, he froze.

Prince Wilhelm stood in front of him, still looking as flawless as ever. He was wearing a white T-shirt under an oversized, tan sweater. He wore a winter coat over that and was holding the book Simon left at school a week ago.

Wilhelm swallowed, looking up. "I uh, I have your book. Sorry it's wet. It snowed last week, and it was still outside." He lifted it up for him,

Simon kept his eyes directly in contact with Wille's. "Thank you."

He reached out and gently took the worn book from Wilhelm. As he reached for it, their hands brushed together briefly. His touch was so comforting. Something Simon missed so much. Just the small amount of contact sent sparks traveling up his arms.

Wille sucked in a breath, "Simon, listen, I-."

"No. Please don't."

The other stepped back nervously, picking at his nails. "Sorry."

"I don't want to listen to your apology again." He opened his door a little wider. "I get it. And I don't really blame you."

Wilhelm nodded. "So, um."

Simon sighed frustratingly. "You're so awkward." He held his arms out slightly.

Wille smiled a bit and met Simon in the embrace.

The taller boy's arms were wrapped around Simon's middle, while his arms were around Wille's neck.

The hug was so warm in the freezing apartment hallway. It was affectionate and gentle. Like a warm and soft blanket wrapped around him. A thousand unsaid words were communicated in the hug.

Wilhelm buried his cheek into Simon's shoulder. The loving contact was a huge relief from the depressing hole he had dug himself into.

"I missed you so much." Wille whispered into Simon's ear.

"I missed you too."

"Can we go inside?"

"Yeah." He grabbed Wilhelm's hand and led him inside. He groaned as he remembered the mess the house was in. "Sorry it's gross in here."

Wille frowned a bit. "Is this all your dad?"

"Yeah, but he's never even home, so it's fine."

He stopped walking. "We're gonna talk about this."

"Okay but can we later? I'm really tired."

"Do you want me to go then?" Wilhelm tilted his head to the door.

"No! No, please don't leave." He grabbed his hand a little tighter. "Can you stay the night?"

Wille smiled. "Gladly."

Simon didn't want him here for anything suggestive, he just didn't want him to leave now. Wilhelm's presence was just simply comforting and something that he craved.

Wille took off his coat and sat on the bed with Simon. He leaned his head on Simon's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"No."

Wilhelm sighed.

Simon picked at the sheets. He lifted his arm and carded his fingers through Wille's soft, blond hair. He closed his eyes and breathed out, basking in the pleasure of the other.

They sat together for a bit. Resting in comfortable silence.

Simon's arm slowly started to tire, he let it drop behind Wilhelm.

He looked up. "We can sleep if you want."

The brunette nodded and laid down on the soft pillow. Wilhelm followed, reaching his arm over to Simon's side, he hesitated before touching him.

"Can I...?"

"Please." Simon interlocked their fingers and draped Wilhelm's arm over his side. He threw the comforter over them and snuggled up closer to Wilhelm. Wille smiled and held Simon against him a little tighter.

"Good night." Wilhelm muttered quietly.

"Mm. Night." He shut his eyes. And before he lost the courage, he whispered a response to Wilhelm, from way before winter break. "I love you."

Simon couldn't see it, but behind him, Wille's eyes widened. Those three words impacted him more than anything anyone has ever said in his life. He buried his face into Simon's curly hair. Blushing furiously.

In the few seconds with no reply from Wille, Simon was afraid he had messed up. His heart rate picked up as he started to apologize. He never got the chance though when Wilhelm replied.

"I love you too."

Simon smiled, nearly crying. Hearing those words back to him was such a relief. Especially from Wilhelm.

"Don't cry." He swept a thumb under Simon's eye.

"I'm not." Even though he very much was. "I'm just glad."

The two fell asleep together, limbs tangled and soft smiles on their faces.