Chapter 31: Thirst

When Starscream woke up the next morning, it was early dawn, before the sun rose. It was still dark, and everyone else was still asleep.

After the team returned from Spain, this time having successfully secured a whole, intact bone - a ribcage - things went quiet on the Decepticons' side. After two hours of no new Decepticon activity detected, the Autobots decided to rest up for the night to prepare for what the next day might bring. Even Optimus had decided to take a rest in vehicle mode by the wall, not having recharged for four days since he was reformatted by the Forge of Solus Prime. Prime had earned his rest for now, with everything that had been going on lately.

Ratchet was the only one who stayed up all night, to keep a lookout and to wake up the others in case a new signal was detected while they slept. While he kept a lookout, he continued working on the Synthetic Energon formula, which was much easier with everyone being quiet and asleep.

Starscream was the first of the sleeping Autobots to wake up. Ratchet spared him a brief glance and a nod good morning before returning to his monitor and continued his work. Starscream rose to his pedes and looked around the crowded yet quiet and dark base.

Starscream had not gotten much sleep that night, but he had slept for a long time the day before, so he felt himself full of energy.

Energy to be let loose on his newly acquired student. He had been looking forward to this day, so much that he couldn't sleep. He had made plans for how to start Octane's training and what to focus on. It wasn't much, but the few subjects he had in mind would alone take well over a month to master, probably even several months. But considering the state the Autobots currently found themselves in, these recruits had to be trained hard and fast, if they were to survive against the Decepticons and especially that Predacon.

Starscream gazed at the pod closest to his corner, in which Octane slept. He looked so peaceful in his sleep, so blissfully unaware of what was awaiting him when he woke up. Starscream snickered by the plan he had in mind for the Triple Changer.

"If you want to start training him so badly, just wake him up," Ratchet said quietly from his monitor, snapping Starscream out of his thoughts.

The Seeker turned to the medic. "Uh, yes, I was just about to do that," Starscream replied. "No new bones detected yet?"

"No, things have been quiet tonight," Ratchet replied.

Starscream turned back and was about to wake up Octane when a thought occured and he turned back to look at Ratchet.

"Uh, is that Hangar F building available yet?" he asked. "Since, you know, I can't really train him properly without the right space."

"Agent Fowler cleared it last night, when you went to sleep," Ratchet replied. "You're free to use it now."

Starscream gave the doctor a satisfied smile. "Excellent," he said and turned back to Octane and prepared to wake him up.

"Just be careful," Ratchet warned lowly. "His wounds may be sealed now, but they could easily snap open again."

Starscream chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll go easy on him," he assured. "I won't even use my claws."

"I was hoping you wouldn't either way," Ratchet replied with skepticism. "And remember that you are both in recovery. Don't set back either of your progress."

Starscream scoffed. "Who do you think I am, Bulkhead? Or Wheeljack? Trust me, we will both be fine. I will take good care of him."

With the snickering in his voice, Ratchet wasn't sure if the Seeker was sincere, but he decided not to comment further.