Chapter 29: Chain of Command

A few hours earlier, on the Nemesis...

"Shockwave, sir, with all due respect," Thundercracker voiced, gaining the attention of the bots in the lab, "do you really think it's wise to spawn an army of beasts in this tiny lab, or within any part of this warship? I mean, not even the lone beast we had was compact enough to stroll these corridors without tearing them asunder."

"I was referring to my offsite laboratory," Shockwave clarified, "which we have erected expressly for the cloning procedures."

Thundercracker stood speechless for a moment, staring at the Cyclops. Skywarp and Dreadwing too looked surprised at how much had already been done without the Seekers' knowledge.

"I... don't know what to say," Thundercracker replied sheepishly. "You really think of everything, don't you?"

All of a sudden, the room they were standing in started to rumble. Thundercracker and Skywarp flinched by the shaking, the others gazing at the ceiling as pebbles began falling from above.

"We're under attack!" Skywarp exclaimed.

"Autobots?" Thundercracker speculated, considering Starscream was back with the enemy, and Optimus Prime had recently gained the ability to fly.

"Illogical," Shockwave protested and checked one of the computers to scan the ship while the rumbling noises continued above them. "Though there appears to be an enormous mass upon the upper hall."

With that in mind, Megatron exited the lab, the Seekers and Shockwave following close behind, everyone curious to find out what had trespassed on the warship. On the way, Megatron ordered a few Vehicon troopers to follow, just in case it was an attack. The noises and shaking became louder the closer they got to the flight deck.

As they reached the hangar, both the tremor and the noise stopped. As the door to the flight deck opened, the group was met by the face of the Predacon. Thundercracker and Skywarp felt a rush in their tanks by the sight of the returning beast. The others were also surprised to see that it had survived, though it seemed to have gained frostbite several places on its armor. It must have been sent to one of the poles, probably the Antarctic, as it was extremely cold and had some powerful blizzards. Even so, the Predacon's frost damage seemed to be healing fairly quickly.

As the Predacon noticed the Decepticons had come out to welcome it, it took a few steps forward, its wings folded on its back, and emitted a soft rattle.

"How did it find us?" Dreadwing questioned.

"Predacons possess precise homing instincts," Shockwave explained.

"And astonishing resilience," Megatron remarked and turned to his First Lieutenant. "Dreadwing, assume command of my beast."

"Me, Lord Megatron?" Dreadwing repeated skeptically.

"Military command of the Predacon is most logical," Shockwave pointed out. "Since my services are required elsewhere."

Dreadwing gazed from Shockwave to the Predacon, which stared coldly at the Seeker. Dreadwing scowled at the beast.

"Very well," Dreadwing replied. "I shall train it well."

"Good," Megatron replied and turned back to the hangar. "Get to it right away. The rest of you, return to your posts!"

Shockwave and the Vehicons followed Megatron back into the ship, while the Seekers remained outside with the Predacon. Dreadwing gazed between the Predacon and the two other Seekers.

"Skywarp and I will go on patrol," Thundercracker informed the First Lieutenant and went past the staring Predacon.

"Have fun with the beast," Skywarp snickered and followed his Trinemate to the deck.