Chapter 24: Darkmount, NV

As the night progressed, the Decepticons had begun excavating the burning ruins of the Autobot base in search of the Autobots' bodies. They didn't find any, however, though they did manage to find the stasis pod containing Airachnid, as well as the Forge of Solus Prime which had been stolen the previous day. Starscream considered looking through the ruins as well, though rather to search for his items than his possible deceased former comrades. He decided against it, as Megatron may not have allowed it, or perhaps he would find some way to accuse Starscream of still being an Autobot because of it. Besides, it was unlikely any of his items had survived this level of destruction.

Starscream decided to leave Megatron and Dreadwing in the wreckage to chatter like warlord and First Lieutenant, instead trying to find his Trinemates. They couldn't be too far away, considering Wheeljack had crashed near the base.

And right he was. As he exited the wreckage of the base, he found Thundercracker and Skywarp, each holding onto an arm of Wheeljack, letting himself get dragged along the ground. Despite everything, Starscream couldn't help but snicker at the mech's situation, considering how little he liked Wheeljack.

"Hello, Wheeljack," Starscream greeted the Wrecker. "Nice to see you again."

Wheeljack did not look pleased at all to see Starscream. "Get fragged, traitor," he snarled.

Starscream's smirk fell and was replaced with a frown at the insult. He snarled at the Autobot and did a gesture with his servo at his Trinemates.

"Come on," he said. "Lord Megatron awaits."

Starscream led his Trinemates and prisoner back into the wreckage, where Megatron was yelling at some Vehicons for not having found any Autobot bodies.

"Master, look what we've uncovered, in the wreckage of his ship," Starscream announced as he approached the warlord. "Wheeljack."

Megatron turned and gazed at Starscream, who stepped aside to let Thundercracker and Skywarp drag Wheeljack with them, stopping just before the warlord.

"So, one survived," Megatron said in his mockingly pitying tone at the Wrecker. "Take our guest back to the citadel for questioning. Back to Darkmount."

Starscream gazed back at the mighty citadel in the distance, only just visible through the thick smoke clouds around them. He wondered why Megatron had decided to change the name from New Kaon to Darkmount. Perhaps he had just changed his mind and liked Darkmount better? Or maybe he intended to refer to the canyon as New Kaon? Maybe even refer to Earth as such? Who knew.

Starscream gazed between the citadel and Megatron and gulped. "This is the dawning of a new age, my liege," he said, trying to keep his composure. "The reign of Megatron!"

"You do have a way with words, Starscream," Megatron replied with a chuckle. He turned back to the Vehicons and Insecticons continuing their excavation. "Make haste! And unearth the Autobot corpses!"

As Starscream turned his gaze away from Megatron he silently frowned in disgust over his own words. He had only said that to butter up Megatron. In reality he resented the warlord as much as he always did. Even if he had returned to the Decepticons, he had been with the Autobots for quite a while. It would take some getting used to, suddenly having to switch lifestyles again so soon. Even if it was the one he was most familiar with.

Starscream made a gesturing wave at his Trinemates. "Let's go," he said and transformed to jet mode.

Thundercracker and Skywarp simply activated their jet boosters while still holding Wheeljack tightly around the arms. He didn't seem very capable of moving much anyway, probably too damaged from the crash.