Mariposa and Lukas

A Continuation of 'Your Name'

It had been four days. She had yet to text the new contact number saved on her phone. Sometimes, she would think about it. She'd write out a simple 'Hey' before immediately spamming the back button.

How do you start a conversation with a boy who gave you his number? How do you act? What was the line between friendly and flirty? Did she even know how to be flirty? Oh god, did Marinette want to flirt with this boy? Four days spent contemplating the right way to start a conversation with the boy who never got her name right although she was sure he knew it.

Marinette knew that she was running out of time. In just a few days, she would head back to the coffee shop for her regular. Of course, she could ditch but that would make it seem like she was avoiding him. She didn't want to seem like that--she wanted to talk to him.

Luka had made the first move. He reached out and now it was her turn. Half the day was already gone. Maybe she would work on that history paper and come back to this.  At least writing about religious trifles came easier than writing a text to a boy with blue hair.

~ ~ ~

Stretching in her chair, Marinette yawned. Her fingers hurt from typing. Calmed by the monotonous studying, the young girl felt ready to make her move. She typed it out quickly, not allowing herself to dwell on the placings of every letter.

Hey, it's Marinette. Or Mariposa--but I'm sure you'll find something else to call me anyways. At least save my number as Marinette, kay?

She hit send. It was friendly and open-ended. It let him know she was playful and hinted that she wanted him to save her number (a sign Marinette hope meant 'PLEASE KEEP TALKING TO ME! I WANT TO KNOW YOU')

There was no immediate reply. This was a relief to Marinette, she wasn't sure she could come up with another text after that. She decided to push the text to the back of her mind before she thought too much about it and began panicking. Resituating herself in her seat, she pulled out her sketch pad and began to draw.

It was a simple design that she was sketching. A nice jacket that followed a cooler color pallet with a navy base and white and sky blue accents. The pattern on the back was a blue snake that she imagined to be a large patch. It wasn't until she began detailing the model wearing it when she realized she had made the perfect jacket for Luka. How on earth did he wiggle himself this far in to her head? She sighed at her inability to escape her thoughts of him and relinquished to the sleep that was tugging at her.

Closing her book and turning out the lights, she made herself comfortable in her bed and drifted off into a dreamless rest.

~~~

When Marinette awoke that morning, she checked her phone almost as soon as she was fully conscious. She had one new message:

Hey! Glad to see you kept my number. I make no promises on your contact name, Macy ;)

Marinette exhaled a sigh of relief. She had done it right! She composed a decent enough text to warrant a reply!

Wasting no time, she let her instincts takeover for her response.

Haha..I suppose I'll name you Lewis then. Or better yet: Weird Coffee Shop Boy?

Not fair! How would you know if I'm weird?

Instincts.

You don't even know me that well :(