i. breakfast at the burrow

*‧₊˚

*‧₊˚.

(  chapter one !  )

THE KETTLE WHISTLED LOUDLY FROM DOWNSTAIRS, THE SHRILL SOUND VIBRATING AGAINST THE WALLS OF THE BURROW.

          "harry!" hermione alerted, leaning over the sleeping boy, lit candlestick in hand. "harry!" he leapt up, his shaggy brown hair sticking to a bead of sweat that was dripping down his forehead. "harry, are you alright?"

   "hermione?" his breathing was rapid and out of control as he scrambled to reach for his glasses on the wooden nightstand beside him. "bad dream," he explained, furrowing his eyebrows and attempting to catch back his breath. "when did you get here?" the potter boy and his twin sister, julianna, had both arrived at the burrow the night before. they had been exceptionally eager and anticipating it all summer — especially after being cooped up at the dursley's with dudley for six weeks.

    "just now," hermione set down the candle, then moving to approach ron's bed. "you?"

"last night." harry hummed. "where's juli —"

"wake up! wake up, ronald!" hermione interrupted loudly and sharply. "wake up!"

"wha — bloody hell!" ron groaned, pushing his long red hair from his face and covering his chest with the patchwork blanket.

the muggleborn girl rolled her eyes at the him, tempted to fling a pillow at his head. "honestly, get dressed!" she swiftly turned towards the door, before sternly adding: "and don't go back to sleep! your mum and julianna say that breakfast is ready!"

"jules is helping with breakfast?" ron perked up immediately, his once groggy demeanour dissolved simply by the mention of the potter girl's name. he called her jules — which was short for julianna — but also because her twinkling blue eyes reminded him of an expensive jewel. her cooking and baking skills were exceptional, and there was absolutely no way that he was going to let himself miss out on a delicious breakfast made by his jules.

the weasley boy eagerly rolled out of his bed, tripping over his slippers as he did so, earning a few chuckles from harry, who was still rubbing his eyes of sleep. "coming!"

ron rushed into the cramped bathroom, and his red tartan pyjama bottoms were splattered with mint toothpaste as he shoved his toothbrush into his mouth, brushing as quickly as he could.

harry was next to get up, stretching and slipping his woolen sweater (that mrs weasley had knitted for him) over his head. the aroma coming from downstairs was tempting — he could pick out the scent of crispy bacon, and that was enough to get him excited aswell.

when the two boys finally got downstairs, they were greeted to the sight of a full table — piled high with breakfast treats. scrambled eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice, toast, sausages, bacon, baked beans, a steaming pot of tea, fried mushrooms, hashbrowns, and a fruit bowl consisting of strawberries, watermelon, and green grapes.