ii. the portkey

*‧₊˚

*‧₊˚.

(  chapter two !  )

IT WAS CHILLY, AND THE MOON
WAS STILL OUT. ONLY A DULL, GREENISH TINGE ALONG THE HORIZON SHOWED THAT
DAYBREAK WAS DRAWING
CLOSER.

harry, having been thinking about thousands of wizards speeding toward the quidditch world cup, sped up to walk with mr weasley. "so how does everyone get there without all the muggles noticing?"  he asked curiously.

"it's been a massive organizational problem," the man sighed. "the trouble is, about a hundred-thousand wizards turn up at the world cup, and of course, we just haven't got a magical site big enough to accommodate them all. there are places muggles can't penetrate, but imagine trying to pack a hundred thousand wizards into diagon alley, or platform nine and three-quarters? so, we had to find a nice deserted moor, and set up as many anti-muggle precautions as possible. the whole ministry's been working on it for months."

they trudged down the dark, dank lane toward the village, the silence broken only by their footsteps. the sky lightened very slowly as they made their way through the village, its inky blackness diluting to deepest blue.

"hey, ron?" julianna began in a quiet, confused tone. "where are we actually going?"

"uh, i dunno," ron shrugged with a small yawn. "dad, where are we going!"

"haven't the foggiest!" arthur weasley replied happily, his trekking pole digging into the dirt below. "keep up!"

"arthur!" a man called out, beaming happily. he was quite short, and had grey, wispy hair hidden under his hat. "about time, son!"

"sorry, amos. some of us had a bit of a sleepy start!" he turned to look at harry and ron.

"mhm." hermione hummed, cutting her eyes at the boys, and julianna giggled.

"this is amos diggory, everyone!" mr weasley introduced. "he works with me, at the ministry." suddenly, a young boy, who looked about seventeen — leapt down from the tree, landing perfectly on his feet. "and this strapping young lad must be cedric, am i right?" he shook hands with him.

"yes, sir." cedric smiled, taking his hand.

hermione, ginny, harry and julianna visibly recoiled at how attractive the young man was. from his brown, soft hair, to his chiselled jawline and down to his feet. fred and george smiled, happy to greet their friend, and ron just scowled at him after noticing jules' attraction to him.