Free Bird

Characters

Greyson Andrew Davis

Robin Louise Miller

June 1st 2000 / New York

Robins POV

My body is frail and weak as I lay here amongst the shattered glass. The knife is still plunged deep inside of me but somehow I can't feel the pain. Every part of me is numb, my muscles are dead and my bones are barely strong enough to hold my body up. The birds tweet and chirp above my head, pulling me from my thoughts. My mind still hasn't registered that I'm outside yet. I can't even feel the breeze or the warmth from the sun. I still feel cold and dirty from being inside that basement. I don't feel safe yet and I have to get up and get away before they wake up and kill me. 

With every creak and crack of my bones, I force through the pain and make it to my feet. I'm covered in my own blood that I can't even see the colour of my skin. My leg is swollen and thumping with pain but I have to push through it, I need to get away. 

With the radio clutched in my hand, I use my free hand to yank the blade from my flesh. Blood spurts out and coats my torn soaked dress. My first step is the most painful thing I've ever felt but once I get moving, there's no stopping me. 

The sun is blazing down on the emerald fields, it looks so beautiful. The sky is a lovely shade of blue with white fluffy clouds dotted around. The birds float around in the sky, chirping and dancing amongst themselves. It's exactly what I imagined it would be, I'm finally free from that dark cage, I'm a free bird. 

. . .

I've been walking for what feels like days now and not one person has stopped to help. In fact everyone has avoided me like the plague, even ran from me. I don't think they realize, I just need help, that's all. I've made it to what looks like a city or at least I think it is. There's a lot of people walking around but not even noticing me. 

A little further down the street I've come to a large building with New York precinct above the entrance. If anyone is going to help me, It's them, right?. Surely they wouldn't hurt me or give me back to those men?