classes...

The snort is not unexpected. However, it is also tough to deal with. Prava looks at the professor. He does not seem bothered by it. Prava also tries to remain unconcerned with it. She ignores it and keeps a smile on her face. But, the snorting girl cried out, "She looks filthy!"

Prava is very hurt. Her eyes fill with tears. She must not let her tears run down her cheeks. She will not let everyone think she is just a crybaby. So, wiping her tears silently, she turns to look at everyone. A few nods in agreement, but most murmur in disagreement with the girl. She feels strong. 
She reminds herself with the quote, "I am not alone. Many will stand by me when I need them." Taking her bag in her hand, she finds a seat on the second bench. 

"Can I sit here?" She looks at the boy beside her and tries to sound smart. "Hello, I am new here." 
Good-naturedly, the boy says, "Okay, sit." Prava smiles at him. The boy was one of those who disagreed with the girl, Prava recalls. 

******************************************************************************

Uday Sir is teaching the first class, as he mentioned earlier. "Okay, now we are going to start the class. Today is your first day in college." He said to all of them. "Today, let me tell you some amusing stories about this city before starting our syllabus."

Everyone cries with joy, "Yeah sir, it will be fun!" 

"We will not accept the myth spread by the British that Indians did not have any history before they had come. Though this truth is t be accepted that the world knew of us well when they had come. So, according to them, the history of Kolkata begins when they arrived in 1690. Job Charnock, an administrator with the East India Company is traditionally known as the founder of this city. However, some academics say that Charnock is not the city's founder. At that time Kolkata, ruled by the Nawab of Bengal Siraj-Ud-daullah, had three villages. They were Kolikata, Govindapur and Sutanuti. Well, how the British took upon the city that we know, and we also know how the Zamindars dominated the common people in villages and cities. So let's just hear some fun stories about those Zamindars!

Listen, all of them were not as bad. There was a Zamindar, you can read about him in "Sei somoy"  [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Days_(novel)]. 
He, Kaliprasanna Sinha (singho or lion) was the founder of 'Vidyotsahini Sava' when he was only thirteen years old. Members were Michael Madhusudan Dutta, Radhanath Shikdar (who discovered Mt. Everest is the highest), Akshay Kumar Dutta and more poets and writers like them."

"Sir, I have a question!"

A/N-Will talk about babus in the next chapter! Keep reading!