Chapter 4

Rob came Through the kitchen door about 10 minutes later, whisper-yelling his insults at me.

"Why were you acting like a fucking fool out there? Are you so brain dead you can't take a damn order without stuttering?! I just can't believe-"

"Order up," Donny cut him off before he could continue.

I got off my stool in the kitchen and picked up the plates, loading them onto a tray, then I put the tray on my shoulders and walked back out to the front.

Donny left the kitchen to go smoke in the alleyway like he always did on his breaks.

Rob stepped in front of me before I could open the kitchen door.

"You little fucking slut. Walking around in this little skirt in front of Mr. Mariano. You were practically throwing yourself at him before. Don't be such whore and do your damn job. Don't embarrass me out there!"

I rolled my eyes and walked past him towards the door.

I pushed it open but Rob shoved past me to get out of the door first. I got to the door but then I tripped from him shoving me.

The food went flying and scattered all over the floor. My cheek hit the marble with a loud thud and my wrists hurt. I heard the plates all break.

Fuck that couldn't have gone worse if I tried. I laid on the floor for less than a second before I felt strong hands lifting me up by my shoulders like I was a small child.

Rob started screaming at me.

"You stupid fucking bitch! You're fired, you little slut! You can't do anything right!"

Rob raised his hand as if he was about to hit me. I gasped and closed my eyes, bracing for the impact. After a few long seconds, it didn't come and I opened my eyes. One of the men that were sitting at the table had Rob's arm in his grip.

I started crying, overwhelmed by the whole situation. If I lost this job, I'd be screwed. I'd have to drop out of NYU for sure.

Through my tears, I saw Mr. Marino nodded at the guy holding Rob's arm and wrist, and he snapped Rob's arm all the way back while he whined at the pain. Then as quick as I blinked, I heard a crack and Rob was screaming in pain.

A hand swiped my cheek and I jumped away from it in fear. I looked up at the strong hands that picked me up. It was Mr. Marino.

Oh shit. If Rob didn't fire me tonight, he definitely would.

"I'm sorry, sir. I didn't mean to. It was an accident," I sobbed out. I was a blubbering mess.

He pulled me closer to him and looked me up and down like he was assessing me for injury. Then he pulled me all the way flush against him and wrapped his arms around me, stroking my hair.

"Shhh, it's okay Lilly. Are you okay? Are you hurt dear," he whispered into my hair.

I hiccuped a "yes", but he didn't let me go.

"Don't worry, dear. You're not fired. It was an accident, one that wasn't your fault."

I nodded but I was still scared I was going to get fired or something worse.

Rob got quiet when Mr. Marino hugged me in his arms and comforted me like a scared child. I kept my face down in his chest, too embarrassed to look up. His large hands stroked my hair with surprising gentleness.

"Rob, you're fired. You are dirty, rude to your staff, and since you've started working in my restaurant, the business has gone down significantly. And not to mention you don't know how to respect a lady."