CHAPTER 6: SOLACE & STORMS (PT.1)

Somber and numbing were just a few words to describe how the rest of the day went at work.

I stood by the counter and watched as each customer came and went, having no zeal whatsoever to attend to anyone of them. Despite earning worried glances from my co-workers and several warnings from Betty, I couldn't bring myself to care.

Birdie took the rest of the day off to get herself together. But I, on the otherhand, wrestled with the an army of feelings from my past and sadly, I was losing the fight.

"Hey, everything alright darlin'?"

I turned around to see Wade walking towards me with a boyish grin plastered on his face, but I could still see a hint of concern in his blue eyes.

I forced a smile. "Never better!"

"You know darlin'," he started, leaning on the counter beside me. He lifted his head and stared at me from under his long lashes and suddenly, I'm wrestling with those butterflies again. "You could fool everyone else with that fake smile, but not me."

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not trying to fool anyone. And besides, don't you have something better to do?"

"What could be better than talking to you, Fel? "

I rolled my eyes again.

"Real smooth."

He laughed deeply while I grabbed a sports magazine that lay on the counter, pretending to look interested in it. I was failing at keeping a straight face while he just sat there, staring at me as if I was something to behold.

"I want you to come with me."

"Excuse me? You want me to what?"

His lips curved into a smile as my eyes widened at his request.

"I want you to come with me, Fel."

I dropped the magazine and scoffed.

"Why on Earth would I-"

Before I could complete my question, he grabbed my wrist and dragged me over to the backroom, tossing me a wide grin as he did. I tried to wiggle out of his grasp, but his grip was firm.

Getting dragged to a dark corner by a really hot guy, this isn't so bad at all.

He made his way to the back door, pulling me along with him into the alley at the corner of the Cafè. I stood there, clearly upset, but mostly flustered.

The weather had darkened and a gust tossed the trees behind us back and forth, each leaf quivering in the cool breeze. The rain had begun to drizzle, leaving droplets on Wade's forehead and sending shivers down my whole body.

"What the hell, Wade? You can't just drag someone and not tell them where you're taking them! This is kidnapping! Again," I said, yelling every word at him.

Wade laughed again. He glanced at me and shook his head while I kept resisting with every force I had left in me. He didn't budge, but however pulled me close to his side and draped an arm over my shoulder, letting me inhale his heavenly scent as the rain started to pour down hard.

I remained silent and let him guide me down the road, stealing a few quick glances at him.

I couldn't help but admire the way his blond hair cascaded down his broad shoulders, being occasionally swept across his face by the cool breeze. I suddenly found myself watching intently as water trickled down his structured jaw and ran over his stubble. His shirt had clung to his body like second skin and for a second, I stopped breathing.

Breathe, Fel, Breathe!

Despite being forcefully whisked away against my own will, I was grateful to Wade for momentarily helping me forget about what had happened earlier with Birdie.

He was definitely one good looking distraction.

And as much as I hated to admit, there was something about Wade Barnes that gave me wild butterflies.

And at this dangerous proximity, I doubt they would stop fluttering anytime soon.

•••••

Where do you think Wade is taking Fel?

Do you think Fel might be falling for Wade? Or could it be the other way around? Or maybe even both ways?

Who knows lol

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting!!

Much love , Coral